"Centerpiece" fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brad15

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello. I need some input and ideas for a fish that would be my "centerpiece" for my 6 1/2 month old reef tank. Currently have 1 clown, 2 firefish, 1 yellow watchman goby, and 2 chromies. Also clean up crew. Its a 65 gallon and would like to stay on the peaceful direction of fish behavior.

Look up reef-safe wrasses on sites like liveaquaria. com. There are a bunch of flasher/fairy wrasses that are really nice. There are also some cool Anthias that could work. If you are okay with a little risk, I have always been a fan of Pygmy angels (Cherub or Flameback). They are more of a "with caution" for reef, but I've seen many reef tanks where they were model citizens.

Ok thanks. I'll check em out. Liveaquaria is where I've been getting my info from as well as just googling. Angels seem to be a hit and miss option but not sure I want to risk coral. Oh well. I'll keep looking.

Mcoskers Flasher wrasse is one that I've really been wanting. Absolutely stunning fish.

The kole yellow eye tang or tomini tang are pretty good looking fish. They say 70 gallon on live aquaria but if I'm not mistaken a 65 is pretty much the same dimensions. I am torn between them for my tank upgrade.

I wanted a mystery wrass in my 35 gal, I waited for months. Every time my lfs got one, it was gone before I got there. Then one day I was in there, and the blue eyed Mitas blenny was tugging at my heart strings. I got her and named her Minnie. She is a pretty fish with great movement. I may still get a mystery wrass for my 120 gal, but in no hurry.

Sunburst Anthias. Great in a reef tank and they are one of the few anthias that does better alone. A real beauty if lit properly.

My suggestion would be the yellow eyed kole tang or another of the bristle tooth tangs. Great additions to the tank.

Back
Top Bottom