ceriths activities?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

catskinner

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have quite a few ceriths in my reef tank, and find it curious that a number of them cling to the glass where one of my pumps flow hits the glass. Any thought on this? Here is a pic or two.

img_1783375_0_8091f8e383e32caae0f0a603a112ffec.jpg

img_1783375_1_7c62da25caf6e2b93847ae2623650dff.jpg

My dwarf ceriths regularly do that. I have a 20g long with an Aqueon QuietFlow 10 HOB filter on one end and then a Marineland Maxi-Jet PRO 400 on the other. The dwarfs will often be opposite the Maxi-Jet, I don't know why. Maybe the flow of the water soothes them as they sleep :) ? I mean, in nature there will usually be a steady current moving past rocks they would cling to, so it's probably somewhat instinctive behavior.

My dwarf ceriths regularly do that. I have a 20g long with an Aqueon QuietFlow 10 HOB filter on one end and then a Marineland Maxi-Jet PRO 400 on the other. The dwarfs will often be opposite the Maxi-Jet, I don't know why. Maybe the flow of the water soothes them as they sleep :) ? I mean, in nature there will usually be a steady current moving past rocks they would cling to, so it's probably somewhat instinctive behavior.

That is interesting, I also wonder if they get a flow of food as well?

They seem to graze on the rocks and maybe algae that would grow on the glass if not cleaned, and because they're pretty much all in the shell, I wouldn't imagine they would be taking in any nutrients that may be moving by in the water flow. I do wonder how much they feel on the shell, like can they feel the water flow being higher there, or is it more feeling the sway of the current as they attach themselves to the glass.

Back
Top Bottom