Chaeto Versus Grape Caulerpa in Refugium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

awillemd1

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have been using Grape Caulerpa in my refugium with very good success, however, I have read that chaeto is much better. I just recently got access to some chaeto. My question is should I now use both or should I give all my grape caulerpa back to my lfs? Also, I currently have my refugium lights on 24/7. I do this because I read that the grape caulerpa can 'go sexual' and emit a lot of nutrients into the aquarium, obviously not desirable. If I go with both, should I keep my lights at 24/7? Will this hurt the chaeto? :?

Thanks in advance for any advice here.

Willem

Keeping the lights on 24/7 won't hurt anything, and generally will keep caul. from going sexual. Chaeto is all around easier to deal with tho'.

Thanks. I think I will slowly remove the caulerpa and go to 100% chaeto. I don't have that much chaeto to start with and I don't want to get a nitrate spike. Does it hurt chaeto to have the lights on 24/7?

Willem

With Chaeto, I would keep your lights on the reverse time of your main display lights. My main lights go on from 12pm-9pm, and my fuge light from 10pm to 10 am. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom