Chaeto vs. caulerpa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keith A.

Aquarium Advice Activist
Which do you think does a better job on getting rid of algae in the tank? Chaeto or caulerpa?

I was given some Chaeto to put in my sump, but in conjunction with your question... Does Chaeto multply by itself? I was given a small ball of it. Does it need any special treatment other than the sump light?

Caulerpa grows fastering more nutrients but chaeto has less risk to it

The correct question is which gets rid of excessive nutrients better. In my experience calerpa does a much better job. Calerpa does have a few risk and works better in a sump or refuge.

What kind of risk does it have sorry to hijack here just never new there where risk thank you

ive used caulerpa a few times, all my nitrates etc seem to stay at 0 with/without the microalgae and the caulerpa dies after about a week or 2 but ive used chaeto and had it for about a month or so and its still alive and well.

strongy recommend chaeto..... from my experiences

I've had my caulapra ( sorry about the spelling of that ) for months and it didn't die yet in fact it is growing and spreading I am not arguing here I'm new to macros and still trying to learn here.i just put some cheato in my sump also both have been in there for about 3 months my cheato doesn't look like it grew at all but my caulp has grow and spread

I keep both chaeto and grape caulerpa in my refugium. I haven't had a positive reading of nitrates for approx. 5 months now and both are still growing.

I wil point out that if you have elevated levels of phosphates then the caulerpa will be your best friend. If you run a super low phosphate level its better to go with chaeto.

Keeping both of the algaes in my refugium I was at first getting a little over a pound a month of caulerpa growing in my 30g system while at this point my chaeto wasn't growing at all. Since I added phosphate removal media the growth pattern has reversed and the chaeto has started growing out of control.

Back
Top Bottom