?change to cannister filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mncspradlin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Right now I have a 330 Penguin filter for my 55g reef/fish tank. It is working well as far as I can tell. I also have a seaclone skimmer that is also working with appx 1/4 cup of dark green stuff every couple days. I am having a problem with plain green algae getting on my glass, substrate and LR. I have added a PH but it only helps where it is pointing.
Would I benefit by changing to a cannister filter? and if so... does anyone know anything about the "magnum 350 pro system". I found it for a great price $100.
My parameters are: Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 10, Phos 0, DKH 10, Calcium 645, pH 8.2, temp 78
Thanks

I don't think your problem with green algae has anything to do with the Penguin filter. Do you leave your aquarium lights on all day? Is your tank in direct sun light? Are you using tab water instead of RO water? These are the things that could be causing green algae in your tank. Canister is also good for filtration, but your best solution is using a UV sterilizer. It will kill most of the parasites and unwanted algae as well.

You may benefit more by adding an additional PH and doing away with mechanical filtration all together. I prefer to let the debris break down to where it is consumed by the food chain.

OK, my lights are on from 10am to 8pm. Not in direct sun light. Using RO water already. Will consider adding a UV sterilizer instead of changing filters. Thanks

I would not recommend using a UV in a reef tank. If the algae is bothering you, reduce your nutrient level and it will not grow as fast. Algae growth is completely normal in a healthy tank. You may just need to add some more good snails like Astraea and Ceriths to keep it under control. You should also have more than 1 PH in a 55. You want to create a variable current by pointing the 2 at or towards eachother.

Back
Top Bottom