Changing filter cartridge in BC 29 during first cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

05spooln

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey y'all!
New to the forum and fairly new to saltwater. I tried searching and I'm sorry if this question has been asked a thousand times. I'm trying very very hard to be patient and trying to do this the right way with the initial cycle. I have a BC HQI 29, 40 lbs of LR, 40 lbs of LS from my LFS (that is about a year old). My question is do I need to change the filter in chamber 2 before the cycle is done? I have also added a bottle of bio spira. I'm about a week in since I started the cycle. Here is where the readings are at this point. Thanks guys!

image-544853121.jpg

What a lot of people are doing in the bio cube is removing the bio balls from the back filter chamber and replace it with live rock rubble. As for the filter cartridge if would personally remove it and leave it out. If you choose to keep it that's also fine but I would leave it out during the cycle then once the cycle is done put it in. It likely has carbon in it which will remove the ammonia and nitrite/trates which will stall the cycle. If you do opt to keep it in afterwards be aware you will have to perform very regular cleanings as it will trap detritus that will start to decompose and create a new ammonia source-AKA nitrate factory.

Thanks kdpuffer. I'm a week in the cycle today and as you can see above I believe we are moving to the second stage ( nitrites). I have some rock rumble in the chamber also. Would it hurt to pull the filter at this stage? Or just pull it and let the rock rumble do its thing? Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom