Changing salt mix

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love the numbers from Tropic Marin, myself. When I tried IO, I had poor reactions in my tank.

Thanks for the link Dr.Nate I missed that thread. After seeing the numbers Steve-S posted for kent(Ca 445/Alk 4.27) I don't feel like IO Alk is all that bad. IO test at 4meg/l consistently for me, but I was concerned b/c that is higher than NSW. Now I'm liking my IO better lol- After I adjust the Ca to 425-435. If you have stoney corals and/or clams you have to monitor Ca/Alk consumption in the tank and dose regardless of the salt mix brand. Adding a few tspns of turbo calcium to fresh SW is not a big deal to me. I feel the bottom line is the best salt mix is the one that works for you. Staying consistent and sticking w/ one brand yields the best results in the long run IMO.

I switched from IO to Oceanic - coud not keep the pH stable. I have since gone back to IO.

Instant Ocean Reef Crystals

Alk 12
Ca 400
Still need to check the mag & ph. Prior tests gave me 0 for nitrate and phosphate.

Strange...

My CA, Alk, and pH are always in-line and I use Oceanic (fresh mix or from tank).

My stepdad uses Oceanic, but he is having issues with pH. 7.8 consistently, whereas mine sits around 8.1-8.2. We have both have one kit, but he has a second to check with and I've used it on both tanks. Identical readings. I think his Alk might be off tho... he was dosing buffers to raise the pH -- might've done more harm than good it seems.

What's also funny, is the previous "my salt is better" thread, was a bash on IO for having low calcium readings... and now it has almost excellent levels, and everything else balanced. Personally its just salt (with random additives), only reason I really use Oceanic is how easily it mixes - fine powder, not really for any other reason. :roll:

When I used IO, Ca was always around 320 or so. That is why I went to Oceanic. My tank always reads, 420 Ca and 2.5-3 meg/L Alk. PH is always in the 8.0 range.

I have a 4" Crocea and many SPS(not all big) and don't really dose anything. I have been trying to get my Alk up a bit with buffer and I have been trying out some Aragmilk that I won but I have not noticed anything yet.

If IO registered 400 out of the bucket, I might not have switched. Oceanic is more available here now but it is more expensive than IO. One place sells Tropic Marin but it is more expensive than Oceanic. I am still on my fist bucket of Oceanic so I hope my readings stay when I have to get another...

The extra calcium is probably the bonus for buying the Reef Crystals instead of the Plain'ol IO! LOL! I've heard way too many stories of algae outbreaks with Oceanic for me to even want to venture close to the box of it I have in my garage!

I need another bucket of salt.

I use IO salt and Ca was at 350 and Alk at 11. With some help from Steve-S I started tweaking new batches with Kent's Turbo Ca. It pushes Ca to 420 and Alk to 8. After several water changes I have already noticed a boom in coralline algae growth. I don't have many corals except for some 'shrooms right now so I can't say if it's helped them.

Stephen

Just a quick update. I did my first 80 gallon water change using IO salt mix and my ph as of today has gone up to 8.0 from 7.9 (the highest it has ever been). Looks like it is working. I will probably do another tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom