changing salts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sadielynn

Aquarium Advice Addict
any one here ever change salt brands and how did you do it ... I am in the process of switching to catalina water I did a 10% change yesterday and then 20% today till 5 gallons is changed out .... then I will contiue with 10% every 2 days till I have hit 15 gallon change ......I have been having issues with the zoas growing not sure why ... because I have seen no nudis , spiders, or sundial snails ect....... everything else seems fine ...Of the research that I have seen there are a few people who say that they have had coral growth issues when using IO brand and yet others that have good growth...
Perameters as of yesterday
Ammonia 0
NitrAte 0
NitrIte 0
Ph 8.4
spg 1.025
temp 74* never above 75.6*
phosphates 0
and the others that I ran (dont have the copy with me ) were WNL
8O

I don't know, but I just got a bucket of reef crystals, I am switching from IO. I haven't put a batch in my tanks yet....Sorry, I definitely can't help you on the coral stuff.

I've went from IO to Oceanic to IO to SeaChem. I always just go cold turkey and have never had it effect my tank. Figure I only do 20% water changes at a time, it's not enough to make a huge change. If doing a huge change, I'd consider a slow change over, maybe half and half for awhile. By half and half I mean to mix both salts separately for the change, not mixing them together. Probably wouldn't matter but not all salts mix the same and might be a pain finding the sweet spot.

I also went from IO to oceanic and went cold turkey also. No slow change here.

I never really mind changing salts as long as you know that the salt you are changing to is up to par. IMO IO kinda sucks anyways. Yes it is cheap but that is about the best i can say about it, it's not bad, but its not great by any stretch.

IVe switched salts a number of times to gauge different results by different salts and i do so by doing a 50% change.

Most salts are almost the same anyways, test the water that is mixed up before putting it in your tank, if it isnt far off from your existing water and there isnt any ammonia then you are laughing.

Your temps are quite on the low side no?
And I just noticed your SG is alittle high also. From everyone I've spoken too they prefer a 1.021-.022 SG for optimal growth etc for SW.

Just something to think about. You didn't mention what you had in the tank.

I agree temps are a bit low and I have had little to no success raising it (5 diffrent heaters) I have no chiller .... SPG is fine at 1.023-1.025 for a reef .... some keep it a bit higher ... I am switching to catalina water at the present time ...and use distilled and have so for 3 years for top off and for mixing ..... I can not put in a RO/DI as we rent ... and buying it at 3bucks a gallon is a bit off the price for me.... I have a signifigant bioload in the tank with 4 fish 2 clowns paired and mated fire fish ... I do weekly water changes of 10%
as I stated the tests are WNL as stated above .

Most salts are almost the same anyways, test the water that is mixed up before putting it in your tank, if it isnt far off from your existing water and there isnt any ammonia then you are laughing.
HUH ya lost me on that statement , as there should be no ammonia if it is fresh mixed ....
I should also add that the lights are new 80 watts pc lighting . 3/4 acitinic for the bluer look

My tank temp stays between 75-76. IMO I believe tanks do better at slightly cooler temps but I cant prove that. What I can prove is that temp. stability is the key to a healthy tank.

stability is the key to a healthy tank
.I totally agree... I also find that the fish are just as active ... and happy but... its the corals that I am confused about

I know that I used IO the first 7 yrs in my 55 and I seemed to grow corals ok but since I switched to oceanic it seems like my corals grow faster and better IMO.

I am going to say that I heard bad things on oceanic that scared me away from contiuning use ..... that is but my own fault .... I guess I should try it before making a judgement against it.

I have seeen the corals seemingly disappear (zoas ) I have dipped I have tried everything . And they fade away... I have looked to see if ther is a zoa predator in the tank and have found nothing their either :?:
Either way there is something off and I am perplexed as to what it is ...

Back
Top Bottom