Changing substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
I want to change my substrate in an existing 125 SW that has been set up for over a year from CC to LS. Do I need to do this in stages or since its LS do it all at once. Also has anyone else done this and what sort of luck did you have? I have about 90 lbs of LR as well. ANy and all info is appreciated.
Thanks

No I have resorted to the fact that Im going to have to take a *%^*% and buy some of the expensive LS and be done with it!! :wink:
So Im counting the $$ going out of my pocket as we speak. I need some for my new 100 and also some for my 125. I think I want to do all sand.
I think I will do mine changeover a little weird. Each time I do a water change I will scoop out some of the CC as I have about 2-2.5 inches in some places. If I do a little to get it down to 1 inch or so, then I wont have so much to do at one time. Will start buying LS in the meantime and do the 50% change out then and 50% later.

Im thinking I want like a 1+ inch base in each....maybe 1.5 inches in each. Why?
Thats a good idea on the panty hose thing....humm..

doing this is alot of work ill tell ya that. the meathod i used(not sure if it will work for you) i started a water change, putting old water into a rubbermaid container. then i took out the cc and put about 1/2 of it into my sump(i did this because of the bacteria in the cc) then i added the live sand to my tank. then put the live rock back in. 2 weeks later i took the cc out of the sump.i didn't loose any fish doing it this way. however i did loose a crab when removing the cc from the tank.

I have no idea what to even offer as I have nothing to compare it to...since they dont sell it in our area, what do you think is fair? I can meet you wherever if you want to sell it...its your call. i dont know what im going to do with the CC...want it?? :p

I sent you a PM....see what you think, I would be more than happy to take this off of your hands!!! Please!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back
Top Bottom