Changing The Substrate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

revhtree

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have about 3-4 inches of a cc and sand bed. I was thinking about changing to the playsand bottom, while the fish are in qt. I have 105pds lr, some anemones, few coral frags, hermit crabs, ect...in the main tank now. I think the sand bottoms are a whole lot nicer.

Would this be advisable?

How would you do it?

What about the life that is in the substrate already?

What do you think?

How much sand would I need for 75g tank?

Thanks, revhtree. :wink:

David,

since you are already set up I would change out 1/2 (oh never mind didn't see the lr amount).

You will be fine with that much lr to just change it all out at once, I was going to suggest 1/2 and 1/2 but you should be fine. At the most you might see a small spike but I don't think you will. There is a caculator on the top of the page that will tell you how much sand you need.

I just changed my sub w/ live sand and got rid of the CC. It is so much nicer! I don't know if anyone would disagree, but here's how I did mine and got no spikes after and infact my tank has been much more stable with NO2 and NO3 since the change. Well, I have a 110 gal and 100 lbs of LR. I just took out all snails, hermits, livestock, etc.... and as much live rock as I could on one side of the tank. I then took a wet vac (Here's wher some may say I'm crazy) and stuck the hose to the bottom and vacumed as fast as possible all the CC out w/o letting too much water get vacumed out. The trick to this was sticking to the bottom and shutting off the wet vac before I lifted it into the water. I sucked up maybe only 1/3 water BUT I saved my water from getting cludy from all the sh** on the bottom of the tank. I then poured the live sand into the tank by putting the bag to the bottom and emty it gently so it didn't fly all over. I got my sand $1.00 a pound so it wasn't bad. My water was clear in 2 hours and all went back in the tank. I didn't lose 1 creature! And didn't have but maybe a tiny tiny spike in NO2 and NO3 over the next week. It worked for me, but some like I said may think I'm nuts. Just my own 2cents. Good luck however you decide to do it! It was worth the days work!

Back
Top Bottom