Changing UV sterilizer bulbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Clown Monarch

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 15w "Aqua" UV Sterilizer. Essentially it looks like a big PVC tube with some fittings. How do I go about replacing the bulb in this unit? Do I have to shut down the pump and disconnect the UV from the line or can I just pull the bulb out while water is being pumped through it normally?

How often do you change your UV bulbs?

UV bulbs should be changed every 9-12 months. I have no experence with that exact unit so I cant give you specific info on how to change that units bulb but its good general practice to make sure the bulb is off before you take it out to change it.

I would shut down the pump going to the UV unit at a minimum. Just incase the hoses spring a leak while your working on the bulb change. On a UV unit I had (totally different make/model) I had to disconnect the supply and return lines from the UV unit because they connected to the twist on top that had to be removed to take the bulb out.

If I were to change my bulb, I would simply disconnect its power, lay the unit on its side (be careful with tubing, and you might as well keep your pumps on as there will still be water in them regardless.. what's a small or large mess is still a mess), unscrew all four screws (two on top, two on bottom), pull caps off, pop the rotating connector piece off the top end and pull the bulb out. Do not touch the new bulb with anything except the little black piece that is on your old bulb. Slide the new bulb in, pop the bottom electrical connector on, screw the bottom cap on, pop the top electrical connector. Leaving the top cap off, plug the power back on, turn all your lights off, and turn the unit on. If it glows slightly, screw your cap on with it still on so you can make sure your connections stay. Then I set the unit up vertically to run properly. (In-hose on bottom, out-hose on top).

Again, this is just how mine is setup. Your's may be completely different.

Cool, thanks schoe.

I guess the easiest way to ask is:

Can I replace the bulb with water flowing through the unit normally, or will unscrewing the bulb cause water to spray or be pumped everywhere?

Is the bulb self-contained outside the flow of water?

The bulb is self-contained. As I mentioned above, I left my flow running. No water actually "touches" the bulb. The radiation produced from the bulb streams through the quartz tube that the water flows through, spiriling around the center collumn.

Back
Top Bottom