Cheap EBay purchases..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
From what I've seen here, alot of guys don't buy livestock over the internet. It's hard to tell how healthy it is with out seeing it firsthand and it's kinda of hit or miss if it lives. I personally thought about it, but decided against it because of the same reasons. If you don't have a LFS in your area that can get these for you reliably then I'd say give it shot, but if you do I'd just go there and see if they can get you one from their suppliers.

A question just as important is do you have the proper lighting to have an anenome?

melosu - please dont ask me antagnositc questions.. this is a reason I don't like forums.. My anemones are doing well and had Annie for a year.. Im running T5s in a small (20g) tank and in new tank am hoping to get Aquarays or halides but need some research first.

The reason for my question is that anemones (of which I have 2 - very healthy at the moment) are generally £40 ($60+) in LFS whereas on EBay you can get them for £1 each.. I just thought it sounded like a scam or very dodgy.

Paul

I'm not Mike obviously, but I don't think the question was antagonistic - just a simple question. The vast majority of anemone questions, at least on this forum, stem from the fact that people are either trying to keep them under too little light or they bought them bleached and stressed to start with. Seems to me its better to ask the question up front - especially with a new forum member (welcome aboard, by the way!).

Regarding online livestock purchases, I wouldn't say people here don't do it. There are lots of folks here that purchase regularly online - from reputable dealers. I've never done any eBay transactions, and can't say I ever will. But I've bought from online retailers and mostly have been happy.

Thanks Kurt.. I think if my question had been along the lines of 'My anemone in my 10g tank with 20watt bulbs is unhealthy' then I would have expected a retort.. I genuinely am scared of forums.. people tend to get very defensive of their trade/hobby.. and in my intro I made it clear that I'm not the sort of person to mistreat my pets, quite the opposite. The idea of harming an animal disgusts me - even if it is 'just a fish' (as my friends say, not me).

I got my anemones from a very well established LFS with a very good reputation and paid a lot for them, to ensure I wasn't supporting unfair treatment to animals and that they would do well in my system.

My LFS indicated that my water params and lights were more than enough for my 'Nems.

mikes question smacked of a kind of smug 'I know more than you and am going to put you down before I have even met you' that I have seen in MMORPG and Car forums of which I have previously been on (and left)

Me? touchy? yep! and I have a cold this week so extra touchy ;) and cant find the delete account option.

Let's start again.

We dont need to start again. I was just asking a question to see if you had the proper lighting. I`ve probably have asked that question a hundred times trying to find out what lighting the person had. You are the only one to ever answer like that. I dont play smug games on the site here. Leave your personal problems at home and come here ready to learn something.I do everyday. I was not in NO way trying to act like I was better than anyone. Just trying to ask a question to find out what we are dealing with as far as lighting, Tank size and tank inhabitants.

Also because they are probably a locally caught cold water, intertidal species.

I've known Mike's postings here for 5 years or more. I've never seen a smug post from him. Let's just chalk it up to your cold and having previouly had bad experiences on other forums.

AA is without a doubt the friendliest place to come for advice. The people who have Mentor status are some of the friendliest and most knowledgeable people on this forum. If they (or a Moderator) asks a question it's usually best to just answer it. I can't tell you how many times people post questions without telling us anything about their tank. The answer in those cases should always be, "well, it depends..."

Back
Top Bottom