cheato or chaeto...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clowninround

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have been searching online and I can't find it, is there another name for it? Is it the same thing as "sea matt"? Is mangrooves safe (I mean do they go asexual?) I just got my fuge and someone (Lando I think), told me what to get and I can't seem to find it.

clowninround said:
I have been searching online and I can't find it, is there another name for it? Is it the same thing as "sea matt"?
It's chaetomorpha. Also search for "spaghetti" algae. Sea mat is a species of Zoanthid.

Is mangrooves safe (I mean do they go asexual?) I just got my fuge and someone (Lando I think), told me what to get and I can't seem to find it.
Mangove pods (one O not 2) are great additions for nutrient export. Check several online live suppliers, many will offer ones that have already been SW acclimated and you will have less issues with any dieing. They do best when suspended in the water so only the roots are submerged. Also try to keep the foliage to a minimum in the beginning. Only a few leaves will be needed for photosynthesis and the plant can spend more energy on growing a useful root structure. Once the pod has successfully rooted itself you can allow it a few more leaves but not too many, you don't want a giant. They will also need some type of lighting over them.

Check magnesium often once they get going. They will sorb Mg like there's no tomorrow.

Cheers
Steve

You might try ebay. I just did and got a few hits...
search: "chaeto*" without the quotes of course
good luck

ebay is where i got my chaeto, pretty cheap too. Let me know if you need just a little, i'm thinking of thinning mine out and will send you some. Mine came in a ziplock baggie (doesn't need to be kept in water, just moist). I put it in a few months ago and it's doing great.

careful with mangroves, i believe they are trees and can get BIG!

Chaeto won't go sexual, so no worries there.

Jim

That would be great JamesR! If it reproduces quickly I don't see why I would need too much. Let me know and I will send shipping! Steve-s, are you saying I should trim the tops? If so that is a releif because I was wondering how they would fit in the fuge lol...I mean it is 16" tall but from the pictures I have seen they get kinda tall. I was also reading that I shouldn't let the leaves get too warm and the light sits on top of the lid. Sorry for so many questions, this is all new to me :wink: . By the way I am just amazed at how much you know about this hobby, you must have been doing this since you were born!!! :D

Oh, the reason I asked about the sea matt was because when I called garf today and asked if they had some, they said that they didn't but they had sea lettuce (I think) and some sea matt...I just didn't know what it was.

clowinround-

PM me your address and I'll send you some chaeto out on Monday. Don't worry about $, it's cheap to mail. If you're fuge isn't ready yet, just let me know when it is and I'll send it later.

Jim

I got cheato in my refugium and its grown alot! Ill start pruning it soon! :D Many of us reefers in washington have TONS of it! :D

Oh saltwaterteen I never noticed you were from washington. Where at? I grew up close to Portland Oregon...man do i miss the mountians and trees...oh sorry, getting off the subject :oops: .

clowninround said:
Steve-s, are you saying I should trim the tops? If so that is a releif because I was wondering how they would fit in the fuge lol...I mean it is 16" tall but from the pictures I have seen they get kinda tall. I was also reading that I shouldn't let the leaves get too warm and the light sits on top of the lid.
Where the light gets positioned will be important. If too close to the foliage it could result in wilting from the heat, not so much the light but a clip fan should help with that. When you first get the mangrove they will usually just be a seed pod. No leaves or roots as yet. They should be floated so just the root base is in water and the main body out of water. This will allow the roots to grow properly and the seed pod will not become water logged and rot. Once it begins to grow it will have the tendancey to be faster on the foliage than the roots. Let the leaves grow until you have about 3-4 and the pinch any new ones after that. This will force the mangrove to look for more ways of nutrient support via the roots and increase the structure so it grow downward instead of upwards. Simpley pinch off new growths with your fingers. If a leaf becomes tattered or worn, pinch it and let a new one take it's place. The root structure is the most important part of using it for nutrient export. The more roots, the better it works.

Cheers
Steve

Wow, I never thought of growing plants with my tank.. tho I have seen this done. So there's actually a benefit to doing this. Rock on. Can you drop on of these into a hangon sump? Where the water comes in, there's a collection of about 2g of water. Could I drop a seed in there and let it grow on the back of the tank? Or is this something you should really grow in the main tank?

schoeplein said:
Can you drop on of these into a hangon sump? Where the water comes in, there's a collection of about 2g of water. Could I drop a seed in there and let it grow on the back of the tank? Or is this something you should really grow in the main tank?
As long as the seed pod can be suspended and there's enough room for the roots to spread out/anchor it will work just fine. They will eventually grow to support their own weight like that of the mangroves in the wild. If a smaller tank, just add one.

Cheers
Steve

I was going to ask that too, I have 150g, how many should I add. I read somewhere 1 per 15g for nutrient export...is this true or do i need less than that?

Much less than that. If it where your only means of nutrient control mabye. For now I would suggest 2-4 only. It's easily something you could add later on and they can be a bit pricey. It also depends on the amount of growing room you have. They can easily out compete each other for available food sources. Just remember, the more you have, the more need to monitor your chemstry closer.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom