check out my moon lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do moonlight benefit marine tanks or isit just for show? Im thinking about buying one

Kio707 said:
Just for show.

I have heard that it simulates more of a real coral reef and puts less stress on corals...but I've heard different thoughts, this might not be true but just thought I'd throw it in there

after I installed my moonlights, my corals released eggs. I believe they're beneficial.

herp_mommy said:
after I installed my moonlights, my corals released eggs. I believe they're beneficial.

Released eggs? I didn't know they could do that

Corals don't release eggs, what you saw was probably tenticals coming out for feeding. They do this at night and you just noticed it because you now have the lights.

Readingexcalibur said:
Corals don't release eggs, what you saw was probably tenticals coming out for feeding. They do this at night and you just noticed it because you now have the lights.

Actually corals can and do spawn. Some can be seen releasing what look like eggs. This is one way the reproduce most commonly occurring in the wild but can happen in a tank with proper conditions.

Spawning behavior can be one the benefits of moonlighting but beyond this its only about looks and night time viewing.

Like many cnidarians, corals are capable of both sexual and asexual reproduction. In asexual, a colony spreads rapidly to take advantage of a good location or abundant food. Sexual reproduction allows for genes to be passed on, and allows for natural mutation to further the evolution of a species.
Sexual reproduction involves some extra steps, and therefore extra energy, so many marine animals do not utilize it unless conditions are absolutely ideal. Some really are THAT sensitive to lighting, and adding moonlights could trigger a spawn because these events often happen on a full moon. Try cycling through the moonlights and see if you can reproduce the results!

But as a general rule, they're just for show, so we can see in at night without bugging the fishies. LOL

they're more like egg+sperm packets. I just call them eggs to make it easier :) My blue snowflake polyps did this, btw. But this never happened before my moonlights.

Attachments

• DSC_0711.jpg
    DSC_0711.jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 195
All kind of cool things can happened my tank my Turbo snails have spawn 3 times and my bubble tip anemone has spawn also and all this has been captured on video if you guys want to check it out my channel canonxsi79

Back
Top Bottom