Chiller Question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SheroMedic

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi Everyone,

I'm very new here but have pretty much read a lot on these forums regarding my new 90G reef setup. Great info and great people...

I have recently setup and plumbed my 90G acrylic with NSW and approx 110lbs of LR. My lighting consists of 4 65w PC's. I'm running a Sedra pump for my ASM skimmer, 900gph return pump in my sump and a 1100 SEIO PH in the display. My house is always about 72-74 degrees during the day. WITHOUT the lights on during the day my water temp reaches 85 degrees. I'm probably going to buy a 1/4 hp artica chiller tomorrow.

My Q is, if I plumb the return hose into the chiller do I need a stronger return pump? I was told that doing it with my current pump will reduce my gph rate to around 500 gph.
Waddya guys/gals suggest??

Thanks in advance,

Sharif

I plumbed a pacific coast chiller inline with my mag and it cut down the flow by about 40%.

Need to see how much the chiller can handle before you add a bigger pump. Thats what I was going to do but that would be pushing the chillers GPH to the max.

I added a seio to the tank and all is ok.

What kind/wattage of lighting do you have and how far above the surface is it? Is it a standard 90 or a corner tank? Is your tank topless? Have you tried fans yet or dropped the temp in the house to 70? 85 is the upper limit that a SW tank should be kept at but if you could maintain it at 82 then you would be fine.

70 in your house? sounds like a northeasterner.

Here in fla your air would run 24x7. I agree on trying the fans and open top. I have both and my chiller runs about 10 min every hour that the lights are on.

Believe it or not, I live in SoCal. The house is positioned in such a way that it's cool all the time. BTW, I bought an Artica 1/4 hp chiller today and the flow is fine.

Thanks again everyone :)

nccmike said:
70 in your house? sounds like a northeasterner.
:lol: I was born and raised in SoCal but have lived in VA since 1990. I actually keep my house at 68 year round. Our AC does run quite a bit during the summer but if you have a big enough unit and a digital thermometer you can control it better :)

Congrats on the chiller purchase :D

Back
Top Bottom