choclate chip star monster?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flame82

Aquarium Advice Freak
ok i at first my cool baby star was great and now well he eats at least three full coctail size shrimp a week. the only problem anyone have problem with these once they get 3 inch across because mine now has knocked out a huge turbo snail, three nass snails, porcelian and aneaome crab. now at first i didnt reconize and missed feeding him one week and got of his feeding schedule and i let the turbo and nass snail go. but i think i will be trading him in before he starts going after fish next. anyone else have this problem i was told it was reef safe???

choco stars are anything but reef safe, although some have had success with them.

your doing a good thing, especially if he is going after your cleaning crew.

Get a serpent or brittle, but I will let you know, they are hiders...

I have a choc chip star that is about 3 inches right now. He is constantly on the move, but he seems to find enough to eat with out me target feeding him. I have seen him get on top of a snail a time or two but he is yet to eat one. They are NOT reef safe though. I have seen mine eat a peice of seaweed selects that was about 2 in x 2 in. Took him most of the day, but he took it off the clip and ate the whole thing. I did lose 3 emerald crabs for no apparent reason though :? .

ya i use to have some chateo but the salfin tang and star have knocked it back alot recently. that sounds good though i will try to trade in for brittle or serpent or at least let the lfs have him back. any suggestions on the type of star either one have a better character ?

i have a small cc star wich eats alot but never been a problem and i have a 10" general wich has never touched anything alive and just eats a chunk of shrimp every 3-4 days
they are definatly not reef safe but other that corals and sponges they shouldnt touch any thing alive are you shure its the culprit were your crabs in an anemone because cc stars wont go near a decent sized one

both crabs were small. but i am still going to remove him i seen him go after several of my snails and after a 3 inch meixcan snail

choc. chip stars are NOT reef safe. their favorite food is soft coral. They're really only for FO or FOWLR tanks.

CC we had did fine in a reef tank (didn't eat any corals, or anemones), however it did suck out two flaming scallops.... he quickly was transfused to the 210g FOWLR. He's getting quite large as well. Cool looking starfish, but not recommended...

...oh and he doesn't bother the one large hermit we have in the 210.

yup the star went after, pulled the snail of the glass and sucked him out. and i have toadstool in the tank but the star has never touched any of my corals.

I have 2 CC stars and they don't kill anything. I do see that that quickly find their way to anything dead in my tank. We target feed them both when they come to the top. Between the two of them they don't even eat one coctail shrimp a week. Three is a LOT for one!

D

ya i know but if i slow down the feeding then more of my snails that i have added back will disapper again

These can be pretty distructive in a reef tank. I know a guy how lost an entire colony of xenia to a CC star. They have also been know to topple rock work and damage aquascaping. Make no mistake, this star is not reef safe and, as mentioned, does best in FO or FOWLR tanks.

mine ate some mushrooms that came on some new rock but nothing alive and has always been with hermits,snails,other starfish ,shrimp you name it
unless you seen it with your own eyes i have a hard time believing but thier have been a lot stranger things happen

Back
Top Bottom