Christmas tree worms! (PICS now included)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jermz79

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a few questions regarding these awesome creatures!

My LFS just got a new shipment of rock in, and some of the pieces are covered in Christmas Tree Worms! I am tempted to scoop a piece of the rock up, only I don't really know much about them and don't want to end up killing them! The piece I am looking at has 3 of them on there, and they have some pieces that have 8 or 10 ... ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!!!!

Any general care advice you can give?

What do they eat ... or are they filter feeders?

and any special lighting requirements?

Thanks,
Jermz

They are filter feeders that are rarely kept successfully for an extended period of time. Also the coral they are generally found in (Porites-SPS) requires high light levels.

I just got one about a month and a half ago as a surprise with some live rock. It seems to be doing pretty well, I give Kents phyto-whatever? to it 3x per week. I live down in NPR and went to the store in Holiday if that's the LFS you are talking about. There was quite a bit of aiptasia on it.

I just got one about a month and a half ago as a surprise with some live rock. It seems to be doing pretty well, I give Kents phyto-whatever? to it 3x per week. I live down in NPR and went to the store in Holiday if that's the LFS you are talking about. There was quite a bit of aiptasia on it.

Hoosier Daddy said:

Nope, but I'm sure I know which one your refering to ... on the right just past the Home Depot?
I live in Spring Hill and if ya don't mind the drive there is a nice store just past County line road on the right hand side ... it's called Pet Paradise (same lot as "Friendlys' car wash")! They are mainly SW but have a little FW as well! Real good guys Javier and Frank.
They have some real nice rock ... some is loaded with Aiptasia ... some is not! Beautiful fish and can always order whatever you need!

Well I stopped by the store on the way home from work and just couldn't pass it up, AND AN AMAZING DEAL ... $3.00/LB!!!!!

I know it has some Aiptasia on it, but I also snatched up some Joe's Juice to take care of them! It is the absolute most gorgeous piece of rock in my tank and just sets off the whole tank! This piece of rock weighed 5.89lbs to bring me to a grand total of 43lbs!!!

Attachments

• p6200791.jpg
    p6200791.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 73
If your feeding the whole tank, just drop some in. Be careful though, a little goes a long way.

Yeah they do have some nice rock in there! Frank just went last night to Miami to pick up a new shipment of fish ... he told me they were getting in around $2000 worth of stuff!!!!!!

I am going to stop by today and hopefully get a new addition to my tank. You should check em out this weekend, they get their new rock in on Fridays!

I'm thinking I want to add a Flame Angel, but I also want some sort of Goby! So many choices to choose from ... OH how I wish I had a bigger tank!

Last night I fed my lonely Clown and watched the Christmas tree's grab stuff out of the water ... it's actually pretty amazing how they work!

christmas tree

this is the worm I have before I added new lighting last week.

Attachments

• untitled_200.jpg
    untitled_200.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 64
I have had these in my tank since getting my first piece of rock. I have about 10-12 of them on a piece of brain skeleton. I have not fed them special or had special lighting on them. They just keep growing and reproducing started out with only 4. Maybe just luck??? They don't like my coral beauty much, they retract everytime she comes around. Other fish they just stay out.

Back
Top Bottom