chromis and new clowns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sansouci01

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok.. So my urchin seems to be doing better ( that was my last post ) so I have a new question. Here in Orlando, the best known salt water store is World wide corals. I happen to be lucky enough to live 5 minutes from them. This weekend, they are having a big 7th anniversary sale. They have clowns advertised for 8.99. Great price..I would love to get a pair of them. My question is...my only fish now is a chromis which has been in the tank by himself for about 3 months. Would I anticipate any problems getting a pair of clowns since they are both in the damsel family and he has been the king of the tank for a while...

They will be fine. Chromis' are very peaceful.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yeah chromis can be little devils, if it's already killed 3 fish IMHO you'd be best re-homing it. If it's that aggressive it will most likely attack anything else you add to the tank too.

..is it just a regular blue/green chromis..?

Chromis are a schooling fish.. Did you see it actually kill the other 3? I've never seen any type of aggression from chromis.

The only aggression that I ever saw was when I first got them. He would always chase the smaller one into the rocks where the small would hide. Ever time he would come out, the larger one would chase him back in...So I just assumed that he got the best of them after a while.

Any respectable clownfish will be able to hold it's own against a chromis. Just my opinion though

Well, I think you might be right but, what I'm thinking is for 8.99 they might be pretty small and my chromis is about 2" long

I added 2 chromis first in my tank followed by 2 clowns two weeks later and never had any issues with aggression and that was in a 30g

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

^ like I originally said.. You'll be fine. Even if the clowns are small.

Ok...
just put my new clowns in the tank and the chromis wasted no time chasing them around. They are smaller than he is. At least the clowns are sticking together. Is this just a territorial thing or should I be concerned ? He's not chasing them constantly but I don't want them to get stressed out already.

Was there a limit on the chromis at wwc? I went to a shop in sanford instead of wwc today. lol

I too was interested in the chromis deal they had, 4 for $10. :)

And as for your question, I now have 15 blue green chromis and a pair of clowns and they leave each other alone. Havent seen any aggression whatsoever from the chromis. Though it is true, they will dwindle in numbers eventually either from natural causes or other mishaps. I lost one to the overflow and still have one in an overflow. lol

Ok...
just put my new clowns in the tank and the chromis wasted no time chasing them around. They are smaller than he is. At least the clowns are sticking together. Is this just a territorial thing or should I be concerned ? He's not chasing them constantly but I don't want them to get stressed out already.

Like I said earlier in the thread, if it's already killed 3 fish it is very aggressive and it's doing what aggressive fish do

Hi Carey
Didn't see anything about a limit on the chromis but 4 for 10 is a good deal. the place was packed. They also had coral frags for 8.99. Had some nice pieces. Might go back tomorrow for a couple. Since I posted the post about my chromis and the clowns, he seems to have calmed down. Maybe just angry about new tank mates.

Hmm I am supposed to be going to the stormborn anniversary sale tomorrow but I would LOVE to swing by wwc for some more chromis. lol

Do you have your lights out? i always add fish to a blue lit or unlit tank. Gives everyone a chance to get used to the new additions.

yep.just have the blue led's on...must have been 50 people in the store today and you know the size of that store but they had lots of fish...

I wouldn't worry so much about the chromis , if anything 2 clowns would gang up on the chromis , that would be there way of saying ok we are taking over ,

Back
Top Bottom