Chromis Massacre-Killer Clownfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Had a friend with a similar problem, the chromis were added to a tank that the clowns were king, nothing but problems. Another friend added chromis to a tank that a powder blue tang was king and the clowns didn't seem to care. The bigger the tank the better also. Your tank looks great, but the setup is such the clowms have claimed it.

Looks like they're letting Rocky live. He's still kicking and was out eating today. The clowns never even bothered him while eating.

This is the exact same thing that has happened to me. I have 2 true percula clowns in my 125gal for a year. Then I introduced 5 green chromis, and they killed them all except for one. I changed the aquascaping, turned off the lights, etc...nothing worked. It's just the fact that it was the clownfishes territory. That's all they know!

Well, 4 of the chromis were killed but the one chromis that is left is just fine and has been for about 6 months. The female still chases him around constantly every day- but he is quicker than the clownfish. Good luck with yours.

I don't think that will work. The way I see it you have 2 choices:
1. keep a lightly stocked tank
2. get rid of the clowns.

take the clowns out for a few weeks and re introduce them, make them get used to a different home then they would be less teritorial

I wouldn't ever go with option 2. I'm not going to send them to an almost certain death somewhere else just so I can be selfish and get more fish. I don't have a seperate tank running at the moment so I can't move them.
The clowns live in the front of the tank, right on the sand. If I were to put a rock on the sand would that be enough to make them find a new home and be less territorial or does one really need to move everything? Because I can't do the latter...

I doubt that will work. I moved the rock scape completely around once for a super aggressive clown tang and it didn't make any difference. He still tormented all the other fish.
As a matter of fact, i sold him to a guy that had a predator tank and the clown tang was the smallest fish in it, and it wound up tormenting all the predators in his tank too!

lol thats pretty funny i guess surgeons liek to use those blades for evil.

aren't clown tangs known to be aggressive though?

Sergie said:
I wouldn't ever go with option 2. I'm not going to send them to an almost certain death somewhere else just so I can be selfish and get more fish. I don't have a seperate tank running at the moment so I can't move them.
The clowns live in the front of the tank, right on the sand. If I were to put a rock on the sand would that be enough to make them find a new home and be less territorial or does one really need to move everything? Because I can't do the latter...

They wouldn't go to almost certain death somewhere else, would they? Trade them with another reefer, or back to the lfs. If you introduce more docile fish, the same outcome will happen.

I had sebae that would jump out of the tank to bite me, even leave teeth marks on ya. She would rip a shrimp or any other fish up in seconds.

Back
Top Bottom