Chromis Massacre-Killer Clownfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sergie

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I bought 5 chromis today to go into my reef. As soon as they hit the water my clowns went on a killing spree. Out of all 5 bought, in 3 hours 4 are dead. There's one more little one left but he won't last long as now BOTH clownfish are concentrating their efforts on the one little guy. My dreams of adding fish might be over. Looks like I may only be able to buy rocks and corals...

How long were the clowns in for? I added a damsel with mine and no problems from either.

I have read that if you shut the lights off if that does not work then put the clowns in a breeder net until the other fish get adjusted? worth a shot

Clowns have been in there for a long time. Over a year before I bought the tank and for 4 monhs since I've had it. I tried turning off the lights for awhile. Still didn't work. In the dark they hunted...

try the breeder net? or you could get egg crate and keep them on one side of the tank so the new fish can claim some territory

I'm afraid of even trying the breeder net. I think even seeing any other fish is going to stress my clowns out. They still kind of harass my Coral Beauty but not to this extent. This was purely out for blood. They would even leave their home and hunt them down from corner to corner. It's a shame because I consider myself overly understocked and this tank had potential.

:( one last shot, I have heard of people putting in more intimidating fish in to put there aggressive fish in check. Not sure exactly what would work maybe an expert will chime in and give you some advice

I don't know what I could put. I have a foxface that they never pick on due to his toxicity, but he's not really aggressive.

What type of. Clownfish?

Take out clownfish into ur QT tank for about 2 weeks let the other fish settle.

Also rearrange the rocks which clowns called home so when you put them back they come to new tank.

Worked for me.:)

Have you tried changing your rockscape? Moving everything around is supposed to help ("supposed" being the key word). By dottyback was not friendly towards new fish, but after I took a bunch of rocks out and redid the interior she's left them alone.

They're true percs from what I can tell. I'd probably try that out but I'm extremely discouraged at the moment. Not only did I waste 30 dollars, but more importantly I sent 5 chromis to their graves. I would try the rock work thing but all the corals are where they need to be. But this seemed way more than territorial. They really went for them. The female drove one out from within the rocks bit her and held on while wiggling the chromis for a good 5 seconds. Then she let go, grabbed again and drove the chromis into the sand. All fish I have pulled out today have been bleeding.

So there is still one chromis alive. Ironically it is the smallest one of the group. He doesn't appear battered like the others. He's been quick but all the chasing has him tired. He's been hiding behind the overflow. It's been lights out for about two hours. I hope he pulls through till the morning.

Yeah that would be fitting. He is a fighter. He's so small though :-(

Did Rocky survive the night? I found my dottyback munching on my cleaner shrimp (who was uncharacteristically docile yesterday).

Geeze our fish are going crazy! Yes thankfully he is alive. I just saw him darting around right below the water line. Maybe now the clowns will chill out and let him be.

My chromis and clowns get along fine, trouble with them is that again the smallest one is always nipping my alveopora, so it never gets to full extension. I've tried to get him out but to no avail, they are fast buggers and all the hiding spots I built into the rock work works against me.

£5 fish ruining £45 coral.

Bad times with the chromis!

Back
Top Bottom