Chromis to cycle my tank is that ok?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

weekf

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just started up my 132g 6 days ago. Ammonia is spiking right now. The tank is so empty I am thinking of adding in 10 chromis right now when it is cycle as it is so boring to stare at the empty tank.

Will the chromis made it through the cycling process you guys think? Are they hardy enough to withstand the ordeal? I know damsel fishes are more hardier but I don't like aggressive and I would like to keep the chromis for long term.

Ah...no. the vast moajority of people on this site do not recommend cycling with fish, or putting fish in the tank during the cycle

Do you gave enough lvie rock for the size tank? And in what condition? If you still need more live rock, try and find a place to get some good cured live rock out of a LFSs or friends display tanks. This should severly cut down the cycle time. My nano is already cycled and hasnt been set up for a week yet.

Even still, I think cycling with uncured rock or grocery store shrimp is so much easier.One water change when finished and done deal. Add fish. No stress. Clean up crew. So much more fun that way IMO.

I definitely agree with the rest. You will be subjecting those poor animals to inhumane sewage conditions.

Fishless is the way to go. Save your money and buy fish when the tank is ready for them. Buy a pound of raw shrimp at the grocery store, add two to your tank, grill the rest on skewers for dinner and wash it all down with your favorite beverage :p

lando said:
Buy a pound of raw shrimp at the grocery store, add two to your tank, grill the rest on skewers for dinner and wash it all down with your favorite beverage :p

Why didn`t I think of that!!. :D

and just for the record, chromis are quite delicate anyway and would NOT survive a cycle.

Back
Top Bottom