Cirolanid Isopod problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tripper

Aquarium Advice Freak
All,

Last night, while cleaning my tank, I noticed a cirolanid isopod on the sponge in my overflow box to my sump. This is the second one of these that I have found in the past 3-4 months. Is this something I should be concerned with? I have never seen them attached to my fish and have had no strange fish deaths recently. I guess just finding a second one scares me a little.

Any thoughts?

tripper

These are not good. You should make every attempt to get them out. Manual removal is best. After lights-out go night diving with a flashlght to spot them. You can also introduce a six-line wrasse as they are a natual food source and the wrasse should eat them. This method is certainly up for debate but I have not seen an isopod in my tank since the addition of the six-line.

lando,

I actually do have a six-line wrasse in my tank. It is just coincidence considering I did not know they would eat them. Given the size of the isopod I pulled out though, my six-line would need a couple others to help him take care of it. I understand they are not good, but hopefully I don't have too many since I've only seen two in my tank in the year that it's been running.

Thanks

tripper

Hey, can someone shed light on why isopods are bad? are they parasitic? I ask because my second choice for an LFS had some weird external 'parasite' looking things in one of their tanks full of royal grammas. One gramma had a white 'thing' stuck near it's eye, and another had a slightly larger white thing attached near it's gill. Way too large to be ich or marine velvet.

Yeah Isopods are parasites, they attach themselves to the side of a fish and can do significant damage to fish in a short period of time. Here are some Cirolanids I caught in my tank:

iso.jpg

iso2.jpg

iso3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom