clam

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

I posted earlier this week about a clam problem I was having. It seems that its something called pinched mantle.

I did a 10 min freshwater dip and have added some carbon to remove some metals that supposedly phosban introduces into the system.

Clam looks much better but I just caught this pic. I wonder if its bothering it.
I don't believe it is due to the fact that he sits on everything. Really cool fish.

goby&clam.jpg

If anybody knows why adding a link to another site only works about 1/2 the time please let me know.

http://www.naturecoastconsulting.com/images/tank/goby&clam.jpg

I have neon gobies that do the same thing. As long as it is not constant or nipping at it I would not worry.

clam is looking much better. Don't know if it was the dip or the carbon.

The clam is about 3 and 1/2 inches.
As far as whats to the right I really don't know, I thought it was some kind of snail. It moves really slow.

It does look like a limpet. Limpets are algae eating relatives of snails. They usually return to the same place on a rock after grazing.

That clam is looking good.

yea, I'm pretty happy.
Was not really interested in clams but had some store credit and could not find anything I liked and the better half liked it so I grabbed it.

Now I'm glad I did. Here's a pic of the clam tonite and my tank. I keep changing the rock work around trying to get some collums but its not working out.

clam2.jpg

latesttank.jpg

The clam is about 3 and 1/2 inches.
It looked smaller than that relative to the limpet. I asked b/c below 2-2.5" they need to be fed phyto-plankton, not just light. Keep in mind once the clam is settled in a nice spot it likes, it will permanetly attach itself to the rock w/ it's byssal threads. By placing it on a small piece of LR or a clam half shell, that will allow you to move it if needed in the future.

The tank and the clam both look good!

I feed that every 3 to 4 days anyway.

The clam has already attached himself to that rock. When I gave him the freshwater dip I had to dip the whole rock. Wish I knew that before.

Oh well, thats him home now.

Whats cool is that the clam is aqua cultured, not taken from the wild.
I'm down with trying to get everything I can this way.

Thanks for the complement on the tank.

Back
Top Bottom