Clam losing colour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

0o.Kelsey.o0

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have had my clam since march and it has been slowly turning from blue to brown. It is now pretty much completely brown (and not a nice brown). I was just wondering if anyone knows what would cause this. The lighting is fine its MH and the calcium levels have always been good.

I was just wondering if anyone knows what would cause this. The lighting is fine its MH and the calcium levels have always been good.

We need some hard numbers on your water test results and lighting.

8 fish in 28g's (according to MT).. I'll take a bet on water conditions.. nitrates etc

sorry for the late reply i have been out of town for awhile..well 7 fish now and what type of readings would you need to know? i only have the simple drop tests which all look good according to the little cards ha i will do more tests tomorrow and try to get more specific numbers and find out more about my lighting

From you pictures it looks like you have it on the bottom? My understanding has always been that Maxima prefers to be on the rock work, esp the Blue's that need more light than the green or browns and prefer to be higher up.

What type of MH do you have? wattage and K

Blennies have also been known to be agitators of clams

Do you spot feed, or feed at all w/ zoo & phyto plankton? Or does he just rely on filtering and photo?

Does he close up rapidly when you get near him? How's the mantle look?

What was the nitrate reading? Some nitrates are good for clams.

I still think you're close to the edge on stocking.

Guess it depends on if you want to figure out what's going on or play the "what's your water parameters" game for $200 Alex.

But thanx for the help

Have you tried vewing your clam from the top down? I have seen some that appear dull and brown from the side but nice and bright from the top.

Also, as mentioned, water parameters are needed to help offer good advice.

How old and what temp is your MH lamp?

alright so i did all the tests that i had
KH 9dKH
Nitrate 0ppm
Phosphate 0ppm
Ammonia 0ppm
PH 8.0-8.2
Nitrite 0ppm
Calcium 500mg/Lppm

Lighting
Watts 150W
Kelvin 14K-HQI

Power
115V-1PH-60Hz

My clam has always been on the rock since i got him but the last few days he hasn't been attaching so today i set him in the sand. Right now he is closed and i think will most likely die since they go so quickly. My blenny has never bothered him that i have seen

there is definatly no colour left in him, i have looked from the top. I have had my tank since about mid march and have not replaced the bulbs

alright so my clam has died but if anyone knows why this might be then please share. I would like to know incase i decide to purhcase another

Back
Top Bottom