Clam question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Combo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I I have a 200gallon reef tank which i just switched from 1000 watts on compact fluorescents to some kessil a150w lights and i just added a derasa clam a few days ago and he never really opens all the way up but far enough that i wasnt too eorried about it but he had a nice blue ridge around the edge of his mantle and now it seems to be fading a bit so anyhow what im wondering is if hes getting enough light off of the kessils or if anyone else has used the kessils hes 24 inches down. I'm new to this forum thing so I hope I did it right

do you have a pic ya can add, this forum has an app that makes it easy.

But, in the meantime, research pinched mantle disease. Easy to treat, but ya need to get on it ASAP. But 24"s deep is far down. How many kessils did ya add? I'd win 1 right at it. Chances are its just not comfortable in the new tank with new lights. Also research pyramid snails and look for them a few hours after lights out!

I have one 10k and one 15k directly above the clam. I read that derasa clams prefer to be in the sand but I'm wondering if I should move him up on the rocks instead

Here's a pic of it. I think

Attachments

• image-1198861552.jpg
    image-1198861552.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 88
Here's a pic of it. I think

What do ya mean "i think"? is that a picture of it? just curious what that means.

And you only have 2 kessils on that tank? I think 3 are recommended for a 55.

BUT DO NOT PUT A DERASA ON THE ROCKS, IT'LL JUMP AND GET HURT.

Its really not opened up enough, but its early. What are your water param's?

looked again, it looks OK, def not opened up enough, but looks healthy, Just read up on PMD and pyramid snails and keep your water params in check. Make sure ya can test for cal and mag as clams love to use those up and need higher levels.

I wasn't sure how to add the pic and yes that is it. And I have 6 kessils but 2 of them are directly above the clam

Don't have a test for mag but I'll get one and check it and copy that on keep off the rocks thanks

Back
Top Bottom