Clams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rdnelson99

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 45 gal tank running a canister filter and a 6-lamp 4' T5HO 54W fixture. Being an idiot, I did not listen when the lfs recommended I drill the tank and go with a sump/refuge when I converted from FW back in July. So far, parameters have been extremely stable and right on the money, which I have been very happy about. I have a pair of Clowns, 3 Blue/Green Chromis, a 6 Line Wrasse a Kole Yellow Eye Tang and a Fire Shrimp. Tomorrow I plan on adding my last fish, which will be a Diamond Watchman Goby. For corals, I have 4 frags. A Daisy Polyp, a 3 head Candy Cane, a Zoa and a small Hammer.

Now for the question. At some point, I will have a clam. I love the things. I have not seen one yet that I didn't love. Tell me why I am stupid to try clams at this point. I know there is a very good reason but I need you to tell me why I shouldn't waste that kind of money and kill such a beautiful creature. I know nothing about the care other than they sit on the sand bed and you better have good lighting.

Max size of clam vs tank size to start along with the fact that they do have quite specific needs that will require research to be prepared for. I'd recommend holding off, saving up, researching and then deciding on what type you want based on the tank and system you have available for it. JMHO

Phosphate has been consistantly 0.
Greenturtle, yes, I did a lot of hard thinking before I got him. I got a small one and I know that within a year or two I will need to upgrade the tank or find him a new home. So far, he is thriving. But, your concern is appreciated and noted. :) Came real close to buying a 125 just two days ago. Only thing that stoped me was the co-pay for the oral surgery my 14 year old daughter had to have yesterday. Man, three sets of braces almost complete. Now I just have to worry about three college educations and three weddings to pay for. I love "Daddy's Little Girls" but man, three girls?????? :)

Thanks HN1. Hard to argue with a picture of JC. :) My wife just walked by and wanted to know "Who are you talking too? Do I need to be geleous". LOL I explained that I am trying to learn what not to do so we don't go through the heartache of buying something only to see it die. She said she saw a scalp at one of the lfs and wanted to know why we can't have one. Without knowing anything about them, my first guess would be they need colder water but I would love to hear a little about them.

Again, thanks guys, your advice is greatly apprciated.

At least you are looking to upgrade. I have a small Kole Tang in a 10 gallon currently, but he is in QT for a 90 gallon :)

I would recommend looking up the care of Maxima or Deresa Clams first, since they are the easiest and hardiest, I have heard.

At least you are looking to upgrade.

Yup. I have joined a local reef club and I see where almost daily there are postings trying to sell tanks and equipment at very good prices. I have made up my mind that I will be upgrading but it is just a matter of when.

Good on you man. Researching beforehand is commendable (and rare). ARC is also a great source of info and deals. If you can ignore the bickering.... ;)

The thing that has killed my clams in the past is a snail or hermit knocking it over before it settles in. If you can keep it safe for the first few days, it will have a great start. Like maybe pvc around it to start.

Your local fish club is arc? So is mine. I had to look where you were before I saw your atlanta reef club. I'm austin reef club.

Good on you man. Researching beforehand is commendable (and rare). ARC is also a great source of info and deals. If you can ignore the bickering.... ;)

That's the one. LOL Been stopping in for a few months but just recently decided I would join as a paid member. I have seen some of the bickering but what has really caught my attention is how many people step up when someone is in need. Saw two different people with car trouble last week and members from all over Atlanta jumped in and gave help, tools and so forth. You don't see that very often so I want to be a part of a group like that.

That's the one. LOL Been stopping in for a few months but just recently decided I would join as a paid member. I have seen some of the bickering but what has really caught my attention is how many people step up when someone is in need. Saw two different people with car trouble last week and members from all over Atlanta jumped in and gave help, tools and so forth. You don't see that very often so I want to be a part of a group like that.

Oh yea. Don't get me wrong, the vocal minority has nothing on the bulk of the members there. I've seen a lot of really selfless folks helping others and have been fortunate enough to both benefit from emergency help and deliver it. Great group of folks and there are some that are UBER knowledgable.

The scallop is a fitter feed, only. The clams can make some food from their algae in their mantles, but need food to grow. Lots of filter feed clam foods on the market. Moderate light with good flow, high calcium, reef perfect water conditions and you are good to go. Some dwarf angels like to peck on the clam mantles. That why I don't have clams. Many species are aqua cultured.

Great info Greg. I appreciate it. I don't have any angels (dwarf or otherwise) so that shouldn't be a problem. As far as when I upgrade, if it is a choice between a clam and an angle, I will take the clam. LOL

HN1, are you going to the meeting on Tuesday? I would like to make it just to meet a few people and also so what it is all about. Don't have anything to trad in the frag swap but still would be fun to attend. As soon as I switch computers I will post a couple pics of todays pickups at SEA Atlanta's grand opening. (y)

Decided to try a hard coral to see if I could keep it alive. This was only $10 before the grand opening discount and the ARC discount. Also picked up another coral (don't remember the name) and a Diamond Goby (last fish for this tank)

The first one is an orange ricordea mushroom, and ricordeas are my favorite coral.

Second one could be a montipora cap.

The montipora requires similar lighting and water quality as clams do. If it grows and other SPS corals are growing, clams sound like a go.

Now that is good news Greg. I figured for $10 (with two discounts on top of that) it would be a good peice to experiment with. Greenturtale, thanks for the ID. You hit it on the head. Once I read you post I remembered him telling me that.

i would say you have enough light for a clam. clams will use calcium like it's going out of style though. better think about how you will be supplementing calcium and alk if you head that way.

Back
Top Bottom