clams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
how many wats per gallon do you have?
if it's like the 7 you say.. then your fine...I have a clam with 4 watts per gallon and he's FINE !

I have 5 inch maxima clam under CF and it has been doing great for months. I have 260 watts cf on a 72 gal. tank. I do not use a glass top so I get better light penetration. I know I am breaking the rules, but it seems to be working.

Squamosa and Derasa require the least amount of lighting. I would stay away from any of the super-colors species unless you have MH lighting. I have a brown "keyhole" maxima and it has been doing great. They are filter feeders so I feed mine DT's live plankton three times a week. Plenty of flow is also needed.

Sorry, I forgot. Most clams have been proven to thriveon nitrates. They are often found in shallow lagoons with poor water quality. They do a good job of removing nitrate from the aquarium.

Saltwaterteen...I would think you would be okay. I would remove the glass top if you have one and give it a try.

That is good to know Lando. I didn't realize that clams can help with the nitrates. I have a MH 250w, so I may inquire about getting one too. Thanks for the info!

Mike

Back
Top Bottom