clams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They are not necessarily hard to keep but do require a "reef quality" setup depending on species. Like many photosynthetic invertebrates, they require intense lighting for zooxanthellae which in turn maintains their rich colors, typically MH. They will tolerate low nitrate (<5ppm) and in fact have shown to require at least detectable amounts to do well. Smaller specimens up to 3" across will also require regular feeding of live phytoplankton as they are not completely light dependant and still primarily heterotrophic.

If this is for an FO system, some species need hard surfaces to attach to so some rock or artificial surface might be needed. Certain fish species will also see the clam as dinner so be wary of your fish stock and research before you buy.

Cheers
Steve

ok thanks, i'm planning on doing a 10 gallon nano fowlr tank, so i'm not planning on going the mh route. but if i ever decide to upgrade to a reef tank i'll definately be interested in a clam. thanks!

If you do, a simple MH pendant would be easiest. The light intensity can be easily controlled by the height of the bulb. Much less heat issues as well.

Good Luck
Cheers
Steve

pendant? as in hanging from the cieling or something? is that cheaper? im not sure i'd like the look of that though. are there any clams that would do ok in a 10 gal. with just PC lighting? or do they all require MH? cause only some of them photosynthesize right? i won't be getting started for a week or so, and not to mention cycling and all and of course i want to buy a fish before a clam, but i was just curious. they're so pretty!

mle421 said:
pendant? as in hanging from the cieling or something? is that cheaper? im not sure i'd like the look of that though.
It can be suspended any way you like. Cost would be relative to your geographical area but on average they are cheaper.

are there any clams that would do ok in a 10 gal. with just PC lighting? or do they all require MH? cause only some of them photosynthesize right?
All giant clams pretty much end up being nourished primarily by lighting. It's only when they're small that they require a fair amount of solid foods. As they get bigger they rely more and more on the zooxanthellae as a food source. Halides are not always a must but they are definately prefered. Squamosa and Durasa clams could get by fine with PC's due to the shallow depth of the tank. You'd still need a fairly intense set though.

i won't be getting started for a week or so, and not to mention cycling and all and of course i want to buy a fish before a clam, but i was just curious. they're so pretty!
You have lots of time to decide then. A clam would not be a wise addition until the tank was closer to 8-12 matured. They do very poorly in young tank, plus you will need to get a handle on understanding the chemistry as well. Clams deposit a fair amount of CaCO3 as they grow and in a smaller tank it's not necessarily harder, just more needy.

Cheers
Steve

thanks! your so helpful! i'll look you up and bug you more after i've had my tank established for a year or so :wink: thanks again!

you don't need MH for a clam...
I have had my clam for months and months.. He's on a rock in the middle of my tank and is VERY happy. I feed the tank DT's once a week and there is invert food in my blender mush I feed 2 times a week. I sometimes spot feed him but he doesnt' seem to like it . I have just over 4 watts per gallon of PC lighting and he's great...
I'll post some pics tomorrow when I get home from work for you.

I would think it would depend on the clam. Like, maxima and crocea require more lighting then the derasa and squamosa. But even the less demanding need a moderate to high light.

thanks guys! but im not gonna be able to upgrade from florecent lights for a while! but when im ready ill be sure to let you all know :D

sorry for the bad pic but I'll take more tomorrow...
clam1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom