Clay pots for Clownfish Breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SHARPiE

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi All,
I'm going to see if I can get my pair of clowns to breed.

I went to the hardware store and picked up a small terracotta clay pot and a terracotta clay saucer. I wanted both as people have had luck with pots and tiles. I'll try the pot first and if they dont host that, I'll swap it for the saucer.

I soaked the pot in RODI water before I put it in the tank. After a couple of mins it looked like the clay pot was "fizzing": lots of trails of little bubbles. I removed it straight away and left it in the RODI water overnight.

Has anyone had experience with clay pots?
Do you think the fizzing is anything to worry about?
I'll check on the pot when I get home from work and try again later tonight.

clay pots

my clarkis were spawning on a large rock and i put a terracotta pot below the pot and in front of the carpet anemone.within a week they were and have been spawing about every twelve days.i actually took one spawn and have little fry that will be two weeks old sunday.by all means use the pots just an after thought i put the pot upside down but i dont think it matters if it is on its side.they should figure it out.good luck

Use the pot as it is a lot easier to remove with the eggs attached and still under water than the saucer,I have used this method a lot and it has worked every time.
ken,post some pics of the fry,I'm just about to exchange 50 6 month old fry for credit at my local lfs.as you've got past the 10 day stage you should be able to raise 90% of what you've got.

Last edited:
clay pots

David i am terrible at taking pics let alone uploading the option that works best for me is to email pics.i will take some today and send you them.i sent you an email a while back did you get it.just curious as then i would be sure you will get the pics.i still have about 40 left and most have morphed.amazingly there is a couple tiny ones who are quite far behind in development but are thriving never the less.i just got an idea i could snap some pics and get my daughter to upload them tomorrow.i will give it a try.sorry about getting a little off topic but we agree the pots are the way to go.

David i am terrible at taking pics let alone uploading the option that works best for me is to email pics.i will take some today and send you them.i sent you an email a while back did you get it.just curious as then i would be sure you will get the pics.i still have about 40 left and most have morphed.amazingly there is a couple tiny ones who are quite far behind in development but are thriving never the less.i just got an idea i could snap some pics and get my daughter to upload them tomorrow.i will give it a try.sorry about getting a little off topic but we agree the pots are the way to go.

Yes Ken I got your email,now they have morphed they should all survive,as for a few slightly less developed dont worry,I have a few which are about 10mm long compared to 1" for the rest.Beaware my most lost now is jumpers so keep a lid on them.

Thanks for all the help!
Sorry I haven't replied sooner.

I put the little pot in the tank. They clowns avoided it for a week, but they've warmed to it and have been spending a lot of time in it. I haven't seen any cleaning though. But at least they are "hosting" it.

Ken - I notice you have your pot in your tank overturned. Did you do this for a reason?

not sure how old your clowns are but hopefully they will grow to enjoy the pot and make it their home and spawn.thats when the fun and work begins.i put the pot upside down as they use the anemone to hide under so i thought it would give them a good vertical surface to spawn on.i did consider laying it on its side but it just seemed better in this situation.so tell us a little about your clowns.how old how long you had them etc.

4 week old clarkis

a few shots of the kids

Attachments

• 4 week old clows 001.jpg
    4 week old clows 001.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 255
  • 4 week old clows 004.jpg
    4 week old clows 004.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 262
  • 4 week old clows 002.jpg
    4 week old clows 002.jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 220
5 week old clarki clowns

clowns growing up

Attachments

• 5 week old clowns 001.jpg
    5 week old clowns 001.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 218
  • 5 week old clowns 002.jpg
    5 week old clowns 002.jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 203
  • 5 week old clowns 005.jpg
    5 week old clowns 005.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 187
  • 5 week old clowns 004.jpg
    5 week old clowns 004.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 177
I thought the point of the pot was to keep it right side up and hope they lay on the inside so that you can remove it from the tank full of water so that the eggs stay under water the whole time? I am wanting to start this in my new fish room.

I thought the point of the pot was to keep it right side up and hope they lay on the inside so that you can remove it from the tank full of water so that the eggs stay under water the whole time? I am wanting to start this in my new fish room.
i have seen it done that way in my case i never planned on taking the pot out.i wanted to transfer the fry without stressing out the parents.just a personal feeling i suppose.good luck with your venture.

clowns at christmas

a few pics of the kids at Christmas.have a MERRY CHRISTMAS everyone.

Attachments

• christmas clowns 003.jpg
    christmas clowns 003.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 181
  • christmas clowns 005.jpg
    christmas clowns 005.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 246
  • christmas clowns 004.jpg
    christmas clowns 004.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:
Ken they look good,I just traded mine in to my local LFS for £5/fish,they sell them for £19.They all look good in the LFS.You can take the pot out without stressing the parents as long as you have another pot to swap it with.Your clowns have good markings,make sure you keep a few for yourself!!

The clowns look great! How old are they now?

Ken how are they doing on flake now?
David they love the flake.i use a OMEGA ONE veggie flake for a the main food it has a 37 percent protein level.in addition i supply HIKARI frozen baby brine shrimp gut loaded with EPA,DHA oil and vitamin c plus and b12.i also picked up some CYCLOPEZEE which is a micro crustacean grown in the artic waters.it is 60 percent protein and high in fat.finally every couple weeks i do up a batch of brine shrimp which i gut load with SELCON.lots of variety.

Back
Top Bottom