Clean the outside of my tank so u cant see and salt lines

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Carson24

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys I was wondering how u clean Ur tank to keep the salt lines from showing up. U might not know what I mean, but when I do a water change I get water all over the front of my tank then when it dries it streaks in an ugly grey ish white Crappy looking window and I can't figure out a good way to stop it

Wipe it off before it dries. White vinegar & water solution will remove some salt deposits. Keep it outside the tank as it's acidic & could change SW PH.

I wipe it with a microfiber towel. If it is still wet, paper towels. Then I use the RODI water if it is too much.

I have seen my lfs using some kind of aquarium glass cleaner, the bottle says reef safe. I don't remember the name of the product though.

But you never know if "reef safe" is really safe for your reef.

I use paper towels.

So you slop water on the front of the tank, then let it dry, and have trouble cleaning it off? My suggestion is to wipe it off before it dries and clean it every once in a while with the water/vinegar combo. It works pretty well. I clean kids fingerprints off with it as well.

If you just wipe the glass when it is wet with sw, you get a wider path of salt creep later.

My LFS was seen using vodka and water on their tanks

I use a paper towel soaked in hot water in one hand and follow that with a dry paper towel, using circular motions. Then I go over it again with the dry (now slightly damp) paper towel and 'buff out' the whitish residue.

FYI, I use Sellar's Rags from Lowe's. They're $10/box (200 ct) but they're the best disposable shop towels. Scott's "Rags-in-a-Box" used to be, but they switched to a different style of rags which now sucks, so don't get that. Sellar's brand is just like their old version.

Just get a magnet cleaner. One side cleans the inside and the other cleans the outside. That is what I use and it works perfect for both inside and out

For me, it still leaves the residue. Wet rag followed by dry rag, then the dry rag will be slightly damp and you can go over it again to polish. Works for me.

Pretty sure a wet rag or paper towel followed by a dry rag or paper towel gets off salt creep. I mean.. all it is, is saltwater. You don't really need any special chemicals to get it off lol.

I've always heard you're not supposed to use ammonia based cleaners on aquariums, but is that just myth? I mean, as long as you spray it on a rag away from the tank, then wipe it down, no harm as I see it. I know that you're not supposed to use ammonia on acrylic, can't remember why, but on glass there is no problem whatsoever, including the silicone seals - nothing dissolves that stuff.

I know. I'm was wondering if it was really necessary to use ammonia free if you have a glass tank. I don't think it really matters, as long as you apply it to the rag away from the tank.

It's not like you're spraying it directly into the tank, it evaporates into the air, so I wouldn't think any significant amount of it would find it's way into the tank water. Even if you had air pumps that sucked in evaporated ammonia via air intake, I still find it hard to believe that it would impact the system at anything above a negligible level.

So what I was stating is that I think the "don't use ammonia-windex" is really a myth.

Back
Top Bottom