Clean Up Crew - Reef Cleaners

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cnaugh

Aquarium Advice Regular
A few weeks ago my 75 gallon completed the initial nitrogen cycle and I couldn't have been happier, except for all the nusiance algae. I decided to contact Reef Cleaners and use their online form for a recomendation of a clean up crew. I was contacted within 48 hours by John who gave his recomendations and that is exactly what I ordered.

It took three days for my little workers to arrive and I will admit I wasn't happy when opening the package. Each package had a stinch about it that could peel paint. I was sure most of the snails were dead. I decided to take the chance and acclimate them per the reef cleaners website and placed them in the tank.

I noticed a few live snails but thought the rest were gonners. LUCKILY I had to go back to work as I had placed the snails in at lunch. When I got home I noticed a lot of the snails were missing. Later that night as my led moonlights came on I saw the little guys start going to work in lines up the glass.

I have had these guys for three weeks and honestly, I am beginning to look on the net at supplemental feeding they have the tank so clean. Reef Cleaners is great and John really knows what he is talking about. I know we all have some knowledge in this hobby but with the cuc all I could do was trust someone else. I am so fortunate that I chose John at Reef Cleaners to blindly trust. The man obviously knows his clean up crews!

First, you shouldn't have had any algae growth from your cycle, unless you had the lights on, which you shouldn't do.......

And, yes, now that the CUC has done their job, you will have to supplement them, which is going to contribute to the excess nutrients in your system and likely perpetuate a bad cycle of events. All those critters poop, which is going to generate higher nitrates, for which you will be doing more frequent large water changes to avoid another even larger algae outbreak.

I understand and was simply giving applause to a sponsor of this site and the knowledge he has.
Ammonia = 0 Nitrite = 0 Nitrate = 10 ppm.

I've gone through John at reefcleaners quite a few times and have always been satisfied. Great sponsor and a great company. :)

I understand and was simply giving applause to a sponsor of this site and the knowledge he has.

No problem with that.... wasn't meaning any offense. My natural personality is dry & sarcastic (I think I shoulda been British), so when I type what I'm thinking, it can come off the wrong way.
I'm just on board with MrX's philosophy that, with proper husbandry, a CUC shouldn't even be needed. They're just more critters that need to be maintained & more waste product in the system that has to be dealt with......

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom