clean up crew with a lunare wrasse????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

land locked

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a friend who needs help. She needs a clean up crew. She has mild algae problems. I have already helped her address the usual issues, water quailty, less lighting and less feeding. However, because she has this big beautiful lunare wrasse:evilbat:, she has no clean up crew. He eats them all. Does anyone have any suggestions. I was thinking about a queens snail, florida fighting conch or deer cowrie. They are big but do you think they would survive him? She eventually wants to have a reef tank. The tank has been set up for three years, but she gave up on having a reef tank because of him. What about stars that would withstand him or are there large crabs out there. The best I could find was a hairy hermit crab 6+inches, but it said they will eat snails. I think she should move him into a FOWLR tank but she really does not want a second tank. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

It is a 300 gallon with great lighting and super skimmer, substrate not so great- shells. 40 gallon sump she is changing to a refugium since she has seen mine. She has live rubble on order and 150# LR in the tank with another 100# on order too.

Last edited:
If your freinds water flow is as low as yours this could be one problem. I dought its from 1 source. Need more info like,
Whats used for water flow?
Whats the water source?
Any other stock?
Tanks age?
All water readings tested for?

She actually has a few issues that she is working on and yes flow is one of them. But after all the things that are wrong are fixed she is still going to need a clean up crew. The biggest problem is that she was using tap water. An R/O system was ordered because there was nothing in town big enough. So we are planning ahead for a clean up crew once the water issues are under control.
I think today I talked her into getting rid of the lunare wrasse so it may be a moot point. Is anyone interested in a lunare wrasse? She has lots of other stock in the tank but everything else is reef safe. She did not realize he was not reef safe when she got him a year ago. She just thought he was beautiful, which he is but deadly. Thanks for your thoughts.
As for my tank flow I DOUBT I need to increase my flow, my parameters are spot on and no algae to speak of. I am using a bit of a non-traditional pump method though. I am using an outdoor pond pump. Because we live in the middle of nowhere with no LFS, we needed a new pump right away and our only option was a Home Depot pond pump. We called the manufacturer and they said the pump would still work for SW they just do not warranty it if you use it in SW. They also said it would not last as long as if used in FW. It pumps 1150 gph, the little powerhead is to make up for the 4 foot of head loss. We were going to replace it we when got a chance but it works so well we decided to run it until it dies.

Back
Top Bottom