Clean up on agressive fish tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamal-188

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm considering a 70 or 90g corner tank and want to have a couple agressive fish. Looking at porcupine puffer, trigger, eel, possibly a lion fish.... So my question is, how do you guys clean up uneaten food with no clean up crew? My porcupine I had before made a mess, little pieces of meat sank to the bottom all the time where it would just rot without crabs/snails. What is the best way to keep a couple of these guys in a tank?

imo the trigger will pic at most of it !! but 2nd if there is left over food your feeding way to much !!! 3rd in my 70 i have alot of messy fish and by adding more water flow (2400 ghp) will keep most in suspense so either it caught by your mechanical filter of eatin when swirling around !!

the biggest issue is setting up the tank with out power heads which triggers/puffer love to bite on and break !!! so use pcv spray bars and that prob is gone !!

have a little net to pick up the leftovers once their done eating :wink:
i dunno i like having my large ghostshrimps and mystery snails clean leftovers up

skys said:
have a little net to pick up the leftovers once their done eating :wink:
i dunno i like having my large ghostshrimps and mystery snails clean leftovers up

I can net some of the leftovers but my puffer whould shred the krill so tiny tiny piecs were blown everywhere. Unfortunately I will not be able to have shrimp or snails because all of these fish will eat them.

Scuba
I belive not enough current was part of my problem when I had my puffer, I was only around 400-500 gph in a 110g tank. How do you go about using all spray bars without using powerheads?

hummm how to explain !! i took 1/2 pvc and made lets say a big c so that it just fit in the tank !! at the end of the c on each front corner i put 90 degree elbows and added a 1' up tube with a bunch of holes drilled ramdomly !! across the back i add t's and add two more up tubes with a buch of holes across the back !! set it in the tank and covered with cc !! so all ya see are the up tubes with the holes blowin out the water !!! you can let you imagination go nuts with this set up !! havin mabe smaller ones branching off into the middle of the tank and what not !! kinda looks like an under gravel filter !! but tubes being capped off (which i drilled small holes to blow water to the surface as well )!!! so i have 4 uptubes capped and drilled with holes blowing in from all corners!! the key though so if ya lose power ya tank wont drain dry is to drill a small hole right under the water line so when it starts to syphon back into the sump the little hole will suck air once the water level drops to that level and stop the back pressure !!! works great and my 13" puffer cant even bite thru that hehehe he trys though!!! i like it alot better and when i set up my new reef tank gonna do the same but add some in the middle were i can hide with rock !! no power heads to kill things or clean !! just one big overflow and one big pump !!! make life simple !! heheh

after havin my puffer bite thru the strainer on the power head then the little puffer getting the small piece stuck on its front teeth i had to do something !! had to catch the fish and pull the plastic wedge from it teeth !! why i went no power head

thought about this last night and thought a better way to describe this !!
think of ya tank being ya front yard and you want to and a sprinkler system !! run the plumbing add ya risers where ever ya want and walla !!

That makes sence steve, but do you think this would work with a DSB? That's kinda funny that the puffer would attack a powerhead :lol: Thanks for the idea!

ohhh yea just dont drill holes to low that they under the sand ya know !! as for the puffer yea if any bit of food would stick to the ph he bit it to get the food but hes sooo big he bites right thru it so now i have a ph with no strainer heheheh but such a funny fish ya have to love em' lolol

and again if ya go with this set up MAKE SURE you drill the small hole on your input line right under the water line !! cant stress that enough !!
got a digital cam so after the new year ill have pics of all my tanks :)

Back
Top Bottom