Cleaner shrimp.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mansiz

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just bought a cleaner shrimp today, will my green wrasse nip it? I'm afraid the green wrasse will kill it. Their size are about the same. If I were to buy one more fire shrimp, will it get along with the cleaner shrimp?

mansiz said:
I just bought a cleaner shrimp today, will my green wrasse nip it? I'm afraid the green wrasse will kill it. Their size are about the same.
When adding these kinds of shrimp to a tank it always best to have the shrimp in and settled before adding the fish. Wrasses are especially fond of shrimp dinners 8O. I find that if the shrimp is in their first, the fish is more prone to leaving it alone but that's not always guaranteed. Once the wrasse excededs the size of the shrimp, it will most likely attack it more frequantly. There are species of wrasses that will co-exist with mobile inverts but a green wrasse is not really one of them.

If I were to buy one more fire shrimp, will it get along with the cleaner shrimp?
As long as their is enough room in the tank, they should be fine. Different shrimp species will lunge at each other if they cross paths too often but if each has enough area to claim a territory it should be fine. I would try to make sure they are of similar size. I have a blood cleaner and a pepp in a 5 gal and they aren't "best pals" but they do not chase each other either.

Cheers
Steve

I don't know about the Wrasse. The Fire Shrimp will be fine with any Cleaner Shrimp. They won't hang out together but they won't attack each other either other than to maintain territory.

FYI - Fire Shrimp are Cleaner Shrimp as are Peppermint Shrimp and Scarlet Shrimp.

How to see if the cleaner shrimp is healthy or not? And will its legs grow back if its lost?

mansiz said:
How to see if the cleaner shrimp is healthy or not?

I would say if it's swminng/running around and eating it would be a good sign. they don't always clean your fish. I have 2 skunks and a fire that are pretty much worthless in that department.

mansiz said:
And will its legs grow back if its lost?

Yes, they should grow back in the next molt or 2.

I have a cleaner shrimp and a coral banded shrimp in a 90 gal tank and they get along fine. I don't see them much any more since adding a lunar wrasse to the tank. they only come out at night when the wrasse goes to sleep.

I initially added a single skunk-cleaner and then, having successfully acclimated him (I was unsure of my abilitites in this regard since a previous attempt with a fire shrimp had failed :( ) I added another a few days later. Well, they fought like crazy for a couple of hours but once they had gotten accustomed to each other they got along just fine. I would be nervous about adding another different type (or even the same!) as I suspect a more severe fight could erupt, killing the newbie. Maybe I'm just being overly cautious though.

I have a cleaner shrimp and a coral banded shrimp in a 90 gal tank and they get along fine.

Really? My peppermints disappeared soon after I added 2 coral banded shrimp to my 125.

Back
Top Bottom