Cleaner Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mcquillian

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have two Cleaner Shrimp in my 30 gallon tank. I have two questions:

1) One of the Shrimp (larger) is missing the top 70% of one of his feelers/antenna. Do Shrimp have the capability of regenerating/regrowing portions of their appendages? ( The Shrimp, by the way, is in good health)

2) As previously mentioned, I have two Cleaner Shrimp, one large, one small. How do you know if these are a "mated pair?" They do hang out next to each other in the tank all the time.

Thank you for your time regarding these issues.

They are hermaphrodites.. as long as you have more than one they should spawn on a regular basis.

mcquillian said:
1) One of the Shrimp (larger) is missing the top 70% of one of his feelers/antenna. Do Shrimp have the capability of regenerating/regrowing portions of their appendages?
In general, crustaceans are very good at regenerating appendages after a molt. The only ones that typically do not are the main claws. Antennae, feelers and legs should pretty much always come back.

Cheers
Steve

Like the others have said they will mate over time and become bonded. As far as the feeler it will grow back after a couple of time molting it's skin. They will sometimes have that happen if they get in a fight with crabs or others. 0X

Back
Top Bottom