Cleaner Shrimp Question!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kalani

Aquarium Advice Regular
My LFS advised me that the cleaner shrimp could die in synthetic saltwater. Is this true? I want a couple cleaner shrimp but my tank is not fully NSW yet. Was wondering if you folks would know if it's okay. TIA

lol i needed that laugh:) not tru at all !! cleaner shrimp will be fine if ya acclimate them very very slow 1-2 hours i do :)

I'm never going back to that LFS again. They really suck at this hobby. Always giving me the wrong advice and selling me Bull.

agree but how many pet stores could there be in hawaii ?? might have do ya own research and here is a great place for it :)

kalani said:
I'm never going back to that LFS again. They really suck at this hobby. Always giving me the wrong advice and selling me Bull.

Most LFS's just don't have the time/money or care enough to learn about the hobby and teach others, they are in it just to make money. I would strongly recommend to read and research on your own and then you can make decisions based on what you've found out. This way you know what you're getting yourself into and not just taking the advise of some employee that is just making another sale.

True. Here in Hawaii there's alot of LFS around. I pretty much have a favorite one that I go to and they are very helpful. On the other hand the biggest one here with the most majority of fish doesnt have a clue on what they are selling and are not very helpful.

I'd be diving for my own fish...

I have started diving for my own fish also. It's a hella fun. Know shops in Hawaii sell a slurp gun though :?

like firefighter say i would dive for my own fish if i live in hawaii and so close to the sea, you could have just went to the beach and got all natural sea water and live sand. since you live in hawaii i would assume that doing water change would be a lot easier with fresh sea water

its really harder !! cause to be safe the water needs to be stored in a dark place for a week !

kalani said:

You've got a BULL in your tank???
Wow, what kind of clean up crew do you need for that????? :lol:

Yeah. Ive heard that it is difficult to use a slurp gun. I use nets to catch them. I made a homemade net using a clear sleeping bag cover and a mesh net and stitched them together. It works PERFECT!!!.

since you live in hawaii i would assume that doing water change would be a lot easier with fresh sea water

I'm converting my tank into NSW. But for now. I'm treating my fish in separate buckets and doing a hypo on my tank to rid the ick. In maybe a week or two I will be able to stabalize my tank with NSW. I get my water from the Waikiki Aquarium. Should check out their pictures online and see how they farm corals and other stuff. Their water is pumped straight from the ocean and filtered. I wouldnt take unfiltered water straight from the ocean though.

i live in florida so i could go to the beach and get sand and water and it would be live sand and natural seawater, hmmmm. what precautions do i need to take to do this, or is it better to just make your own water. i can just scoop up some wet sand and it will be live, take it home and dump it in a new tank?

scuba_steve said:
yes sand is ok !! think ya allowed 5 gallons a day :) use your own ro/di water

where do i get that magical water/filter. if its what is best for the fish i will get it.so tap isn't good to use? how much for the filter? sorry to rob this thread :twisted:

swiftwing7 said:
i live in florida so i could go to the beach and get sand and water and it would be live sand and natural seawater, hmmmm. what precautions do i need to take to do this, or is it better to just make your own water. i can just scoop up some wet sand and it will be live, take it home and dump it in a new tank?

I wouldn't collect sand/water right from the beach, think about all the junk that washes up on shore. The only way I'd collect water/sand myself is if I had a boat and could go out a mile or so.

i do have a boat but it would be hard to get sand a mile off. water should be pretty easy to get a mile off. considering buying ro/di filter or just using seawater

if ya was a mile out and used a rope ya fill a 5 gallon bucket and have your bubble watchers pull up the sand !! thats if ya dive :)

Back
Top Bottom