cleaning algae off LR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Betsy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

I have a 75 G reef tank with 75 pounds of LR and live sand. I have been fighting a battle with algae. I have been doing WC and aging my salt water, but the algae continues to grow. I just got a Phosban reactor and Rowa. Next I am going to scub off the algae on the LR. I read putting it in a bucket of salt water from the tank is a good way to clean the rock. My question is: Shouls I do the LR in stages -- like one or two rocks per day? WeeK? What's best?

Thanks
Betsy

What salt mix are you using? It has been my personal experience when I used to use IO I was constantly having algae issues. I switched to RC and haven't had an issue. I think some salt mixes work differently with different water chemistries (not sure if this is a proven fact) but that is what I have experienced.

is your tank new? when my tank was new it seemed i could do nothing to help the algae, but i reduced the photo period to about 3-4 hours/day, added a few hermits and snails and let time take its course and it went away. it looks terrible, but if you are doing all the right things it will go away.

Also, what is your source water?
If it's not RODI, you should consider getting a unit.
Have you tested your water for PO4 (phospates)

Follow the 10 steps in the article Mike linked. That should help.

Unwanted aglae is a real PITB. IME, manual removal is the best way to rid your tank of the visable algae. Identifying and correcting the source is the best way to solve the problem long-term. Scrubbing the rocks in a bucket of SW is about the best way to get rid of the algae. I must emphisize that it is of the upmost importance to solve the source of the algae or it will be a constant battle.

i agree. solve the root problem. for me it meant using RO/DI water.

i added a phosphate filter pad from bigalsonline and it literally killed the algae in the tank. very very helpful for this problem in my limited experience

Thanks for all the great advice!

I now use only RO/Di water and I age the SW for one to five days depending on my time constaints. I use Coralife Scientific Grade Marine Salt.

I am scubbing two to three large chunks of rock every two to three days in SW and my tank is starting to look great!!!! I was very worried about my anemone as I had to move a rock he was cuddled up against and he flattened out onto the sand so I couldn't put the rock back in the same spot. The next day he had moved over to a new spot by the rock and within two days he was big and back to normal.

Thanks
Betsy

Awesome! So that means pics will be forthcoming....?

If I can get all the tec stuff with the camera figured out Yes I'll send a picture. I should take one now for a before and after.

Thanks again
Betsy

I know you have posted in the past about this issue and I'm glad to hear you are using RO/DI water only. Keep in mind that you need to be using it for your top off as well as mixing your new SW up for PWCs.

Have you been testing your water for NitrAtes and Phosphates? Like Lando said getting to the root of the issue is the only real way to keep the algae from coming right back after all that scrubbing.

Thanks Ziggy,

I use RO/DI for everything now -- I even rinse my filtersand skimmer in it after I have cleaned them. I have been testing my water and my levels are normal ?? I may have to make my next purchases more exact kits. Having the Phosban filter with Rowa seems to be helping a lot as my rocks are staying clean as I scrub them. Live rock is so pretty I had forgotten!
Betsy

Thank you,

I live on Vancouver Island in B.C. Canada and so I will have a look to see where I can get them here. I am so excited to be getting my tank back to looking good!

Tahnks again
Betsy

Back
Top Bottom