Cleaning Crew?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
algae

Just within the last couple days I am seeing algae buildup on my live rock and
crushed coral. Does this mean the tank is cycled? Is this normal and what do I do about it? Thanks

Re: algae

jd7128 said:
Just within the last couple days I am seeing algae buildup on my live rock and
crushed coral. Does this mean the tank is cycled? Is this normal and what do I do about it? Thanks
Algae buildup is a good indicator. Your test kits should read 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and high nitrate. If so, you're ready to do a large water change and add a cleanup crew. Algae is perfectly normal at this stage. Add a cleanup crew and start regular maintenance, and it should go away on it's own.

dskidmore said:
1 critter per gallon is not unreasonable for a cleanup crew.
This is true for more mature tanks that can sustain that amount but for starting I’d aim closer to 1 per 3-5 gal of water.

If you have 55 hermits/snails in a 55 gal when just starting off you are asking for trouble IMO (especially with the two urchins). Too many to keep track of and usually not enough food in a new tank. Plus snails in particular if they die can go unnoticed for a couple of days (especially if behind lr) and can quickly foul a tank which leads to its own set of problems.

I would start with around 10-15 max of each in a 55 gal and drip acclimate them for 2-3+ hours depending on your ph/sg level (longer drip if high ph/sg) I would avoid any large snails ie: more then 1 ½” and personally stick to red/blue leg hermits & Nassarius or Cerith snails to start out with.

roka64 said:
2 Yellow Tail Damsels
2 3 Stripped Damsels
1 Blue Devil Damsel
1 Yellow stripped Maroon Clown Fish
Pretty aggressive fish list, you are going to have issues adding new fish to the tank 8O

Pretty aggressive fish list, you are going to have issues adding new fish to the tank

I know, they killed my Royal Gramma! I will take them back to the LFS once I am ready to add new tankmates. I used them as "starter fish" (after my tank had cycled!).

Back
Top Bottom