cleaning of the skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WarOrks15

Aquarium Advice Addict
ok so i have been cleaning my skimmer about once a month but i do not know if i have been doing it the best way. all the brown/green stuff i wipe out with a rag and then clean all the pips and stuff. i try to get it as new as i can. am i doing more harm then good? do i want all of the slim building up on the wall?

Yes, I actually soak it in a bleach and water solution, then rinse it and soak it in a vinegar and water solution, then rinse it again and put it back into use ;)

I have prism skimmer and I clean it once a week. Since I take it off to dump the crud I figure why not rinse all of it. My theory behind was that the crud collects in the chamber, and I was thinking some of it might get back into the water. Should I not clean the chamber so often? Its seems as soon as I clean it I get alot more junk out quicker. Is this just a coincidence? Am I actually hindering my skimmers abilities to remove the nastys? :? lol

Scott

I think your seeing the benefits of cleaning the skimmer cup more than anything, I don't think there is any harm in dumping the crud, but I wouldn't "clean" the skimmer body, it's not that it does anything bad, it simply means a small break in period each time you do it. If it works for you...keep doing it ;)

i jut take out all of the thick crud. i do not clean the part that sit in water al all times. only the part that is above the water surface.

Back
Top Bottom