Cleaning overflow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lando

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have an Oceanic reef ready tank with an internal overflow. It has collected a lot of green algea inside and on the pipes. It is only on the inside of the overflow and not the rest of the tank. Just wondering if anyone out there actually cleans the inside of their overflow. Do I need to worry about this algea spreading or causing changes in water parameters? Thanks! Lando

if it's just on the inside, and not on the drain pipes themselves, I personally wouldn't worry about it. The only issue I can think of is if the algae were to begin to grow on the drain pipe in your overflow. That could cause a slowdown in water flow.

As Billy said. If its simply on the inside most likly its where the water flow is high. If its not in danger of impeeding the overflows operation then I wouldnt bother with it. It could acutally be helping with water flow in that the algae is consuming nutrients in the water.

I've never had overflows or anything like this in my tank so I don't "know" but would something like this also help reduce noise from water splash over the overflow? or could it make it worse?

Back
Top Bottom