Cleaning Play Sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DanW0007

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm sure this has been answered before, so forgive me, but when I tried to find it in an old thread or using the search feature I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.

Anyway, I bought 100 pounds of play sand from HD today and started mixing things up as soon as I got home. I put maybe 30 pounds in a massive bucket of mine and started cleaning/mixing things up. After dumping the water/adding new water/cleaning/dumping/adding/cleaning/etc etc etc... maybe 15 times, the water is still very dirty. Does the cleaning normally take that long? I am probably just being impatient, but man, its been a lot of cleaning so far with what looks like little to no results.

Anyway, thanks for any help.

i have not done this myself, but all that i have read points me to believe that you will never get the water perfectly clear. rinse it throughly a couple times and it will be okay. you can use it with some fine material left in it. after a couple days, all the fine material will settle out and you will have clear tank...

~mike

What brand is the sand?

Rinse it very well, get a 5 gallon bucket and fill it half way with sand and then start pumping water through it and let it overflow the sides of the bucket. Use a broom handle or something to stir it around with. You will never get it perfectly clear. You will have cloudy water for a few days, get circulation in the tank and it will clear up. Be patient.

I did this rinse method with Old Castle Tropical Sand from HD and my tank cloudy for 2 - 3 days.

Back
Top Bottom