cleaning uv filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stumpy

Aquarium Advice Activist
Its time to do my 1st monthly cleaning of the quartz sleave on my turbo-twist 3x uv filter. I looked at the directions and it does not say how to clean it. I'm confused and don't want to dump a bunch of water on the floor or get the bulb wet. Any experianced help would definatly be appreciated.

Indeed, you will need to disconnect it turning off any water supply to it and being careful (If you dont have a quick disconnect or valve in line) to open it over your sump or a pan, etc. I don't know the brand your speaking of, but basically, there will be a tube inside which should unscrew from either end. As for cleaning, wipe down with RO or RO/DI water. NEVER use chemicals on it or in it. Mine had been in line for about a year and I never used it, but it was caked, and I mean caked in sand, mud, etc. It was pretty much useless. Took mine out since I don't use it, but cleaning is the same, only you'll want to reverse the process to reassenmble. I would check the mfg's web site, most have moved into the 20th century and post PDF files of the manuals..

hth..

Maintenance: Cleaning the quartz sleeve of Turbo Twist UV Sterilizer

(1) Besure to disconnect power outlet and turn off the pump and let the water drain out of the Turbo - Twister UV sterilizer before cleaning.

(2) Lift the red safelock and unlock the quartz housing.

(3) Carefully twist the quartz housing and the main body opposite of each other.

(4) Slide the quartz sleeve out of the main body.

(5) Wipe the quartz sleeve using a soft, damp cloth. Do not use household cleaners or abrasive scrubbers to clean the quartz housing. HTH

Back
Top Bottom