clicking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clowninround

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Any chance that the clicking noise in my tank could also be a pistol shrimp? Never had one so I don't know...just can't find what's making the noise and when I dipped one of my rocks a bunch of baby shrimp came out. The claws looked kinda big for the body

If it quacks like a duck...

Never had one, but sounds like you mgiht have one. Maybe time to try the bait and shot glass method. New rock recently?

Could be pistol shrimp. Were one of the claws bigger than the other?
Here are a couple of Pistol shrimp I got from my LR.com order last summer. These guys were tiny, less and an inch long at the time.

Attachments

• shrimp_189.jpg
    shrimp_189.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 174
yep thats what they looked like and there was a bunch of em, real small though. They were under the LR.com rock that I got last month. So is it possible then that what I am hearing may infact not be a mantis? Because the clicking comes from both sides of the tank and no visaul observation of another mantis, just the one from last time. I thought I saw two, but it's possible that it was the same mantis. How big do pistol shrimp get and will they harm my tank?

Pistols aren't going to hurt your tank. They will tunnel under sand, so if your rock is only sitting on top of the sand, I'd be a little concerned about rocks falling over or on top of the pistols IMO. Hey, enjoy the fun and consider a shrimp goby to hang out with them.

Mine is about 2inches long. Had'm for 11 months of with a watchman goby.

Yeap, one big claw is usually a sign of a pistol.

Back
Top Bottom