Close call this morning with a missing fish...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RLG2182

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey everyone! :D

Well, after waiting more than a month with my new Yellow Polyps addition, I also put in a Niiiice looking firefish goby. Acclimated him over 2.5 hours with my drip bucket, and all was well. He went into my tank and was swimming around the bottom of the tank.

I went to bed thinking all was fine. For some reason, I woke up at 3am with the strange sensation that something was wrong (restroom :lol: ). I went to go take a look at how the fish was doing... and he was GONE 8O . I was thinking... "NOOOOOOOO... this isn't happening" Never did I think that this would happen to me. I almost didn't want to look, thinking that he could be chopped up by some kind of impeller or whatnot. I thought he could've been sucked down into my sump via one of my two overflow boxes. I REALLY didn't want to have to empty my sump to find the thing. Even worse... taking out my LR to find him in a crack. I looked around for a half hour with a flashlight... nothing. After saying "forget this, I'm going to bed" I woke up this morning and went to feed my clowns. They ate nicely, still no sign of Mr. Goby. Then after getting ready for work, I went back for a final look, and there he was in the back of the tank!! 8O 8O I looked away for a moment, turned back, and again... GONE.

I never thought that this would be "normal" behavior for a firefish... I merely hope that everything is fine health wise. I need a QT. :oops: Not the way I wanted to wake up on my birthday. :evil:

happy birthday!!!! Glad you got fish goodies for your b-day too. I had almost the same thing with a royal gramma. I added him Sat. and did not see him again until Tuesday. The only time I saw him was up under a rock like he was floating dead. i moved the rock and he shot to another local. I left him alone and he is finally coming out.

Happy Birthday Rob!

:new-bday:

I'm sure your fishie is just getting acclimated to his new surroundings and as soon as he's comfy in his home he'll be out a bit more. I thought for sure you were going to say that on your trip to the out house you found him in the middle of the floor! Glad to hear that wasn't the case. Nothing like a "missing" fish to freak you out! My purple tang had this uncanny knack for hiding up under this rock while he was in QT and there were many times that I'd go to look for him completely thinking that he'd escaped only to find him inside that rock laying flat as a pancake up against it. Crazy critters.

Thanks guys! :D I just need to figure out where we're going out for dinner. Plus... I need to figure out how to spend $130. My girlfriend bought me an ipod speaker dock for my ipod mini... but I already have speakers up the yang. Any suggestions? :wink: (I'm pretty much the guy who has everything... so shopping for me is ROUGH).

I may use the money to setup a Nice QT. Although... I'm soooooooo tempted to buy myself a 12 gal Nano Cube DLX. But then I'd have another tank to take care of too. :evil: I wish I could have a nice tank that I could use as a QT at the same time :lol:

Back
Top Bottom