Closed leather toadstool

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nick862

Aquarium Advice Activist
My toadstool was doing really well but hasn't opened in 3 weeks, is that how long it takes to shed its coating? It's grown alot in the last 7 months and even split giving me 2 good size frags, but now they are stinking? my prams are good, all of my other corals are doing well, I do pwc every week, and I consider my tank almost matured

Picture 30-01-12

Attachments

• image-2236478800.jpg
    image-2236478800.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 220
I wouldn't be too concerned. I've had toadstools stay closed for a month before. They're VERY hearty. If it starts looking very unhealthy I might worry but if it's just closed then I wouldn't be concerned.

Keeler said:
I wouldn't be too concerned. I've had toadstools stay closed for a month before. They're VERY hearty. If it starts looking very unhealthy I might worry but if it's just closed then I wouldn't be concerned.

Agree,I have 4 and they individually will close for weeks at a time.

Ok so they are still closed to this day and I've tried every thing and the only thing that stands out is my coral beauty keeps pecking at these toadstools, I'm pretty sure this is the problem because they come out a little when the lights are off and the fish are hiding in the live rock,

My problem is now that I can't catch the bugger, I was planing to put him in a fry net for a few days just to see if the corals came out,

Any one have any advice on catching fish without removing all my LR? If I have to remove my LR this will end up being a huge job, cheers guys

hate to say it, but usually to get fish out, especially those quick ones, you will have to take out a good amount of rock. :-(

I put so much research and thought into each fish I get just in case I will have to remove it one day. So far I've been lucky.

Good luck with your beauty, hopefully you can catch her easy. maybe try after lights go out, wait a few hours til they are asleep and then pop the lights on and try to catch her. I've heard people have success that way as the fish is still kinda half asleep. lol

It`s called sloughing. It happens to most leather corals. It can last a day or up to a week or two. Nothing to worry about unless it does not get better at all.

It's been two months, i have seen my coral beauty pecking at my colt as well which also never fully comes out so I'm putting it down to the fish having a nibble. I'm going to try to catch him today, it's weird because I never had this problem before and nothings change, no new fish added and feeding times are still the same,

Problem sorted!!!! Used a bottle trap to catch him. Took me a few hours but i done it, all my corals are out and looking healthy so I'm putting the problem down to this fish nipping. Cheers for the advice people

Training your fish to feed from your hand or a net is a great way to ensure that you can easily catch them in the future if you ever need to treat them or transfer them to another aquarium. It's saved my buns more times than I can count.

In regards to the leather, I have a large toadstool that does the same thing in my 400g reef. It'll spend a week closed up, then the polyps will all pop out and look great. It's just one of those things that leathers do sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom