Closed Loop through an Overflow.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sevise

Aquarium Advice Activist
After a very long battle I've decided to cut my losses and give up on trying to run my sump with 2 Mag18 return pumps. II figured with a 75 gallon sump therw ould of been enough settling time for the ubbles to escape but I was wrong. My plan is to cut it down to a single Mag 18 return and use the second set of overflow/return for a closed loop.

I'm not sure if this will work so thats why I'm posting it. I'll use the 1" bulkhead on my Oceanic Overflow as the feed, and the 3/4" for the return. To prevent air from entering I would just remove the standpipe. My question is whether or not enough water would enter the overflow to feed the pump.

Did you try to direct the bubbles to the surface by using baffles and the counter current method?
75G should be plenty.

Just run the standpipe up and over the overflow wall with some 90 elbows and use an intake strainer.That way the closed loop intake is always under water. I have seen this done before on some local tanks and it works great!

I have tried almost everything to fight the microbubbles. I originally had a 30gal sump, in order to stop the microbubbles I had to use a single Mag9.5 cut down to about 70%. I used baffles but the flow was just to high. So I moved the sump into the basement. Its a 100Gal stock tub, filled to about 75Gal. I wanted to use a pair of Mag18s for the returns. They worked but there were still some microbubbles. I tried baffles and eleaborate PVC tricks but the smallest of the buuble would remain.

I realized yesterday I was fighting the wrong battle. I didn't need to have 1/2 my flow move through my sump. I figure by cutting the flow through the sump in half the bubbles would have twice the time to settle out. Plus I can probobly get more flow through a closed loop than by using the same bulkheads for the sump drain/return.

Good idea about the up and over trick. My question is if I do that how do I insure the water in that overflow doesn't stagnate? A few small holes in the return pipe near the bottom? I'm still a newbie and learning as I go along.

Back
Top Bottom