cloudy water after substrate change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

supermarvin76

Aquarium Advice Freak
I changed my substrate from CC to sand one week and one day ago. My water has cleared up to where I can view the fish, but not nearly as clear as it was before. Before, I could look from one side of the tank (long ways) and see CRYSTAL clear through the other side. I have added some "floss" pads. They are like a pad but it is more "flossy". I put these in the sump just before my return pump. I have been running 2 bags of Chemi-pure for 2 days now.

Is there a way that I can make my water clear again??

Help Please!!!

Once the bacteria builds up on the sand particles it will settle quick. Since it has already been a week it should be any time now. Did you change the substrate in portions or all at once?

All at once is gutsy. Watch you water parameters to make sure you don't go through another cycle. Was your sand all new(dead) or was any real live sand?

If you have room, try and add a HOB filter or canister filter with a carbon pad to the tank. It might help clear up the water quicker. I have heard of people using Southdown sand and it taking a week or more to clear. As long as you don't see an ammonia spike you should be ok.

Back
Top Bottom