Cloudy water solution

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Earlgrey23

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys,

It's about week four since the end of my cycle. All levels are good:
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5ppm
Ph 8.2
Phosphate 0

I had a diatom bloom a couple weeks ago but time and the addition of a fighting couch and a twin spot goby solved that.

I've done a 25 percent change today and cleaned out the filter which had some fine sand in the bottom. (fluval 306 canister) and cleaned my reef octopus bh100

Yet the water is still cloudy. Could this be a suspended diatom bloom? All fish (1 oce, 1 bicolor blenny and the goby) and inverts eating and acting normal.

Is this just a normal stage in the aging process?

Not sure if its normal but that had happened to me when I cycled my BC29. It went away in about 2-3 days.

Hey guys,

It's about week four since the end of my cycle. All levels are good:
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5ppm
Ph 8.2
Phosphate 0

I had a diatom bloom a couple weeks ago but time and the addition of a fighting couch and a twin spot goby solved that.

I've done a 25 percent change today and cleaned out the filter which had some fine sand in the bottom. (fluval 306 canister) and cleaned my reef octopus bh100

Yet the water is still cloudy. Could this be a suspended diatom bloom? All fish (1 oce, 1 bicolor blenny and the goby) and inverts eating and acting normal.

Is this just a normal stage in the aging process?

If there was sand in the filter then most likely the cloudiness is from sand particulate blowing about the tank. Possibly from a poorly positioned powerhead or too much flow directed at the sand bed.

The other possibility is a bacteria bloom. This is less likely but if it is whats causing it then it will clear up in a few days.

If you have sugar fine sand it can be a bit harder to keep it on the bottom where it belongs.

Schism said:
If there was sand in the filter then most likely the cloudiness is from sand particulate blowing about the tank. Possibly from a poorly positioned powerhead or too much flow directed at the sand bed.

The other possibility is a bacteria bloom. This is less likely but if it is whats causing it then it will clear up in a few days.

If you have sugar fine sand it can be a bit harder to keep it on the bottom where it belongs.

I do have a very fine sand, ooslite, hadn't stirred it up myself, but who knows what all those snails and hermits do when I am sleeping!

As long as everyone is eating and seems happy I don't mind it too much. I'll be patient. Would like it to clear up by the new year when I am going place a few softies in the tank.

I do have a very fine sand, ooslite, hadn't stirred it up myself, but who knows what all those snails and hermits do when I am sleeping!

As long as everyone is eating and seems happy I don't mind it too much. I'll be patient. Would like it to clear up by the new year when I am going place a few softies in the tank.

Eventually you will filter out most of the fines as they get stirred up by whatever so over time the water will clear up.

Back
Top Bottom