Clown digging holes??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StrawberryDory

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello... Again....

We have a yellowstripe maroon clownfish, and she's the only clown in the tank. She's been "digging" holes and flinging sand around....

Why on earth is she doing this???

I'm a newby to marine and know absolutely nothing about this, but my hunch would say is it egg laying behaviour??? But then I thought they would lay eggs in their host nem?? I would be interested to see what answers you get! :)

Hello... Again....

We have a yellowstripe maroon clownfish, and she's the only clown in the tank. She's been "digging" holes and flinging sand around....

Why on earth is she doing this???

I have 2 yellow stripe maroon clowns
they dig also I can put the sand back and by morning it's all swept out again
now I just leave it think it's their way of being tidy
they also enjoy moving big rocks across the tank some of the rocks they move weigh 2 or 3 lbs

Mine does the same and forms a sand storm. I've heard it's from spawning. I've also read that placing some ceramic tiles where they normally dig the holes helps. I've done this but I don't think I placed big enough tiles because the clown still forms the sand storms.

It's a spawning thing they tend to lay there eggs on flat rocks mine do that every so often I have one large flat shelve where they go to now and try to spawn there no eggs yet :(

My lone Clarkii did that in my first tank all the time. So did the 2 YT Damsels. They would dig a hole under some rocks or near the glass then hunker there. In the new tank I have plenty of rock caves and the clowns don't do that. Granted the 3 culprits were sold with the old tank, but the new clowns don't do it.

Back
Top Bottom