Clown Fish basics-breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saltwater T

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok, i have recently purchased 2 young Ocellaris clownfish (a little over an inch) for my 20 gallon tank. My hopes are to successfully keep and hopefully breed them. I would also like to have an anemone, (my tank is about 6 months old)

So here are my specs:
20 gal
PC lighting atinic and white
external filter
25 lbs of live rock
Amonia Nitrites Nitrates 0ppm
pH 8.2
SG 1.025
temp 78
cal 425

So what i would like to know is will this be proficient for a successful clown anemone breeding tank and also all the information you can give me on giving them the best opportunity to spawn and raise the hatchlings.

Thank you,
Taylor

They do not require an anemone to remain healthy nor to breed. How many watts is your lighting unit (a link to it would be of help)? I suggest you purchase Joyce Wilkerson's book as it is a wonderful beginner's reference. Most breeders do not have much decor other than live rock, sand (optional), a power filter (which you have), heaters, and tile for them to lay their eggs upon.

my light is 180 watts and i know that the anemone is not required but it would be nice

Their natural host should not be tried in a 20g, but you can try E. quadricolor (BTA). There are no promises the clown will accept it as a host nor would I recommend one if your only concern is breeding.

I agree there is no guarantee. I had to take mine back because my two clowns found other corals to host. I know you wont have other corals in this tank but I was just showing you that they could reject the anenome.

BTA can get quite big as well(up to 12" i've heard). Keep that in mind if you want to keep any other corals or inverts in the tank. Also they will require very stable water conditions which can be difficult in a tank that size. It can probably be done but be sure to do your research on the anenome so you know what your getting in to. I only say this cuz i really wanted a rose BTA but my tank is to small : (

Ok, i have recently purchased 2 young Ocellaris clownfish (a little over an inch) for my 20 gallon tank. My hopes are to successfully keep and hopefully breed them. I would also like to have an anemone, (my tank is about 6 months old)

So here are my specs:
20 gal
PC lighting atinic and white
external filter
25 lbs of live rock
Amonia Nitrites Nitrates 0ppm
pH 8.2
SG 1.025
temp 78
cal 425

So what i would like to know is will this be proficient for a successful clown anemone breeding tank and also all the information you can give me on giving them the best opportunity to spawn and raise the hatchlings.

Thank you,
Taylor

Taylor,
A book you should buy in any effort in breeding and raising the larvae of the clownfish.
From my published booklist: The Complete Illustrated Breeder's Guide to Marine Aquarium Fishes, by Matthew L. Wittenrich, TFH Publications. - The title of this books is exactly what it says; it instructs the reader on just how to breed and rear marine aquarium fish. Every detail is present, from conditioning breeders and raising the larvae successfully for more than 90 species. I just recently delved into this book as it was a gift, and am very impressed with the scope and detail of the work. The photos are in full color and excellent.
This book would be indispensable in any effort in raising marine fishes. The author gives valuable tips based upon his 10 years in the marine aquaculture business, so he has insights and hints found no where else.

Dave

I've had clownfish breed without trying, but it only occured after they were paired sucessfully for over 3 years. It generally isn't something that happens right away, just so you know. But I just wanted to say that buying a suggested book is the way to go. There are SO many methods of raising clownfish eggs and none of them are easy. But, some signs to look for, are an increased agressiveness between the male and female, and the male will begin furiously cleaning a section of rock on which to lay the eggs.

I never tried to raise the fry, just let them hatch and become food.

Good luck though!

Oh, and I wanted to add, with PC lighting you may be better off looking for a LPS coral to get something to host the clownfish if you are interested in that. That way you wont have to upgrade your lighting and there is a really good chance the fish will taking a liking to it (no guarantee, just saying). LPS corals and MUCH more hardy and long lived, and cheaper than anemones as well.

Back
Top Bottom